Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,537 times

Advertisements

My family and I relocated to the DFW area ( ended up buying in a suburb of Dallas ) for a job transfer ( from CT ) and have loved it. My brother in law relocated with his company as well. Him and his wife are contemplating a move to the Raleigh area to be closer to family in the North East. We researched Raleigh before deciding on DFW and offered some insight.We have visited Cary and Raleigh but do not remember impressions from specific subdivisions (we visited about 3 years ago)
From asking friends who already live in the area,they are starting to research Apex,Holly Springs and Cary....

Comparing Apex,Holly Springs and Cary....

- Lowest Property tax rates

- Best schools

- Lowest crime

- Best neighborhoods in the under $300,000 range

- Which feels most suburban ? Planned subdivisions that offer tennis ect...

- Which has newer construction stores,retail ect....

- Which area has the fewest apartment complexes? Which area has strict zoning standards ? I know Cary has section 8 apartment complexes..

- Which is closest to Costco,Trader Joes/ Whole Foods?

Your feedback is appreciated,thanks so much for the assistance !

Last edited by CREW747; 01-29-2012 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
From asking friends who already live in the area,they are starting to research Apex,Holly Springs and Cary....

Comparing Apex,Holly Springs and Cary....

- Lowest Property tax rates

- Best schools

- Lowest crime

- Best neighborhoods in the under $300,000 range

- Which feels most suburban ? Planned subdivisions that offer tennis ect...

- Which has newer construction stores,retail ect....

- Which area has the fewest apartment complexes? Which area has strict zoning standards ? I know Cary has section 8 apartment complexes..

- How would you guys compare these Apex subdivisions ?

Kelly West
Scots Ridge
Dogwood Ridge
Crocketts Ridge
Haddon Place

Your feedback is appreciated,thanks so much for the assistance !
We lived in the Cary area for 11 years before relocating to Houston 8 months ago. I haven't yet been to Dallas, but I understand that it is similar in it's ugliness and crime issues. Most of the questions on that list make so much sense to me now that I live in Texas, but are complete non-issues in the Triangle. It is a beautiful area with low crime. I don't know how zoning works exactly, but I do know that they've done a good job with it because everything seems reasonably planned to me and you don't have the nastiness that crops up all over the place in Texas because there aren't zoning laws. Even the bad parts are beautiful compared to the bad parts (and even many of the good parts) in Texas. Property taxes are much, much lower. You can also buy a home that is not in the city limits but still just as close to all the amenities and shopping and pay half the taxes.

Cary has section 8 housing? I've never driven through a section of Cary where I didn't feel safe. You're friends should visit. it's a completely different world.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
h a section of Cary where I didn't feel safe. You're friends should visit. it's a completely different world.
It is indeed a completely different world in Cary. And I love it. We moved from a town that was being inundated with people "seeking services." Groups of neer-do-wells hanging around the bus stops, intimidating people at the entrance to the library, etc. Newspaper articles about people getting mugged and left in the alley.

Been in Cary nearly a year now and nary an newspaper story about any of that going on around here.

Don't know much about Holly Springs and Apex. We drove around these areas when we first started scouting out the area but we liked the older neighborhoods, larger lots, the trees, plus the convenience to the airport, Amtrak, shopping, Rex hospital... of Cary.

Cary seems to be a well managed community. Maybe too well managed for some. The town coffers are full enough that an ambitious downtown rejuvenation is underway with a newly opened art center and a theater in the planning stages. I'm crossing my fingers for a larger library. I understand there is land set aside for that.

They should definitely come hang out here for awhile. See if it is a good fit for them.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
The idea of people being worried about section 8 housing in Cary cracks me up. The days of crime-ridden projects are long gone in this area. Even the most notorious projects in downtown Raleigh have been largely torn down. Of course there's still section 8 housing but they don't concentrate it all in one area. About twenty years ago in this area they figured out projects weren't the greatest of ideas.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,138 times
Everyone else's comments on the section 8 housing has reminded me of some things. It does seem that sec 8 is scattered throughout instead of concentrated in one area. We lived in Fuquay for 5 years and were near a section 8 housing complex. I actually loved it! We never saw any crime...except when someone stole the bowl filled with Halloween candy that I left on my front porch Halloween night. :-) But the class mixture was really pleasant to me and I never felt unsafe because of it. The Food Lion near our house at the time pulled it's employee pool from the lower working classes because there weren't a lot of college kids in that area. There was none of the droopy-drawered attitudes of many city project type people, just pleasant people with southern charm. I always loved going to the park in downtown Fuquay because it was so multicultural and felt like something out of sesame street in the 70's...if you know what I mean.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
I think the problem is that some people still have the stereotypes of drug dens and shoot outs when they think of section 8. And in some parts of the country that may still be true to an extent. The fact is, most of the people relying on section 8 housing are just regular old people like everyone else and just want to live their lives. You'll always have some bad apples but you can find those in any neighborhood regardless of income level.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,508 times
We were also faced with the similar questions before we moved to the Triangle area. After weighing all the factors we chose Cary. As far as your inquiry is concerned, here is my take on some of the questions -

- Property taxes are about .86 percent of the assessed value of your house in Cary. You would be paying approx. $ 2600 for a $300,000 house.

- In general Wake County have a decent school system. We have two kids ( one in elementary and other in middle ) and we are very happy with the overall performance. Class sizes are a bit on a larger side but we don't notice any negative effect due to that.

- Crime is almost nonexistent.

- There are quite a few neighborhoods around that 300,000 price range. Some of the newer ones are towards West Cary. Here are some of them ..

Cary Park , Amberly , Evan's Farm in Cary. Beckenridge and Twin Lakes ( They are in Morrisville and just watch out for the airport noise ). These are fairly new.

Park Village, Excalibur, MacArthur Park & Sherwood Greens. These are about 16-18 years old areas.

- Most of the areas have a suburban feel. Finding a public sports facility can be a tricky one .

- Zoning standards are quite strict in Cary. Sometimes adults need to be told as well what to do and what not

Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,537 times
Thanks for your input everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary