Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Wife and I sold our 3200 sqft home in Maryland to retire and relocate to North Carolina. Had it planned to sell, rent here and then buy in Carolina. That sequence worked out. We wanted to downsize to the1800-2200 sq ft range. However we learned to hate and hate and hate the small one bedroom with den and one bath apartment. We were use to space. So the houses we looked at got larger and larger. We ended up with just under 3,000 sq ft with 3/12 baths. We could have had another 260 sq ft room finished but didn't now. Will in a couple of years as a dedicate home theater. Do we have more space then we need? Yes do we have what we want yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Not a cookie cutter floor plan but has some unique room design and we will enjoy figuring out how to use it all and not worry about wondering if we brought to small. It often is about what you were use to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM

31 posts, read 76,809 times
For ignorant 1st time home-buyers, the new construction had everything we wanted, and the community didn't scare us. But have no fear, after a year or so when the homes start to settle and fall apart as our lovely PULTE home did, we searched long and hard for quality construction!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:05 PM

91 posts, read 455,346 times
Its because we're americans. We love really big, shiny, new stuff. SUV's, Mc Mansions, malls, jewelry, and even our celebrities. Its not just guys who like to compete in the world. I've heard women discuss how they have nicer stuff than other women. So that's why all the houses are oversized and brand spanking new.
My wife insisted on the larger, newer house when we moved. I wanted an older house because most of your new homes aren't built very well in my opinion and I was a residential framer in NJ so I've seen the workmanship first hand. Sadly, women never listen to men because we're all idiots. My new house looks nice, but we'll see how much I'll have to fix in 10 years.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
My wife listened when I said "Buy Quality, Rent Junk".

Since our budget is modest, we rent a flat in North Raleigh. It's 9 years old with great maintenance. If the service changes, we have the opportunity to move when any yearly lease period expires.

Now, even homes have in many cases have become part of the "throwaway" society.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:07 PM

30 posts, read 108,595 times
I loved reading all the replies to Ida Claire's post. I personally lean towards the character of older houses. Does anyone know where you can find older homes in the Raleigh Durham area with a bit of a contemporary feel - contemporary for the 70's etc.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:55 PM

65 posts, read 267,055 times
We chose new construction because we were able to choose exactly what we wanted from the design studio. Also the fact that no one had ever used it was cool too. We didn't want the hassle of having to relpace anything major for a long while. With us being able to get a brand new home we were able to get a 3000 square foot house for our growing family of six plus a little pooch for cheap. If we were ever to sell or purchase another house it would be definetly another new construction, but better quality. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the quality of my house, but I am pretty sure it could have been built better and on a bigger lot. I am still excited for it to be my first home.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmel View Post
I loved reading all the replies to Ida Claire's post. I personally lean towards the character of older houses. Does anyone know where you can find older homes in the Raleigh Durham area with a bit of a contemporary feel - contemporary for the 70's etc.

Thanks!
North Ridge in N. Raleigh has a variety of housing styles. 70's Contemporary, Yes!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDia View Post
For ignorant 1st time home-buyers, the new construction had everything we wanted, and the community didn't scare us. But have no fear, after a year or so when the homes start to settle and fall apart as our lovely PULTE home did, we searched long and hard for quality construction!
What did you find?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
When my parents could afford a home, it was an older one, in a nice area, but it needed work -- reconfiguring some of the living spaces, modernizing the kitchen and bath, and adding a half bath, putting closets in the bedrooms. I love older homes when they have been made more livable, but sometime around the late 70s, redoing those homes became the BIG thing, and a lot of homes like that are too expensive now.

We lived in a new home for awhile, built by a reputable builder, who did pay attention to detail and quality, but the woodwork and the sheet rock walls were never quite the same. Hardwood floors in the old homes were just that, and the mullions in windows were real. The trim and woodwork were not 'affected' but a genuine part of the house's architecture, and the homes had genuine 'style' as well.

Here in Cary, we found a newer home -- about 5 years old when we bought it -- and it seems to be the best of both worlds. I love the quality of an older home but the features/conveniences of a new one.

I DO miss an older neighborhood, with its grey sidewalks, mature yards and trees. So many seem determined to cut the old trees down, but with the removal of the old trees go so many wonderful things, too. I also miss the layout of city blocks, too. Sometimes, it is difficult to try to explain to others how to even find our home, and we sit on a corner, no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary