Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:55 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,345 times

Advertisements

So, If you have read some of my posts my wife and I have FINALLY made the move to Durham (27713). I was thinking of putting in an irrigation system in the front yard considering we are having sod installed in October (part of our home contract).

1. Does anyone have any good recommendations on irrigation people?
2. Is an irrigation system even worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 PM

146 posts, read 691,126 times
You may want to check out these threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...r-systems.html
(lots of opinions on the "is it worth it" question)

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...nstallers.html
(some recommendations for installers)

Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,386 times
As you will see in the threads MrsBTA provided it is pretty costly to have a system installed. I have a 3/4 lot and about 15,000 sq. ft. of it is lawn and was quoted from $5k up to $7k. Then there is the cost of the water and whether or not one would be allowed to use the water in the first place. As much as I would like to have one installed I really can not convince myself that it is worth the money. I have decided to simply begin praying for rain

Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times
We paid $4k plus the cost of the second water meter for a seven zone system. For us it was worth it because we had sod that was never going to turn into an established lawn without water and we didn't want to drag the hose around the yard. Plus, the best time to water is middle of the night / very early morning when it's not so hot and we're not up then. I can tell you our yard is one of the greenest on the street. To us, that's important (not that it's the greenest, but that it's green and there still is grass). That being said, it is very expensive in this area to have healthy grass.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
As you will see in the threads MrsBTA provided it is pretty costly to have a system installed. I have a 3/4 lot and about 15,000 sq. ft. of it is lawn and was quoted from $5k up to $7k. Then there is the cost of the water and whether or not one would be allowed to use the water in the first place. As much as I would like to have one installed I really can not convince myself that it is worth the money. I have decided to simply begin praying for rain
This is true about the upfront cost - it can be costly. However, if you have an efficient, well designed system that uses water from a sewer-exempt meter, then the cost of water can actually be less than the cost of water used if you manually water it.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBTA View Post
This is true about the upfront cost - it can be costly. However, if you have an efficient, well designed system that uses water from a sewer-exempt meter, then the cost of water can actually be less than the cost of water used if you manually water it.
I have a private septic system so the cost of water for me is the same regardless of its use, but an excellent point for those who pay for the water on the way in and on the way out

Old 09-04-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
I have a private septic system so the cost of water for me is the same regardless of its use, but an excellent point for those who pay for the water on the way in and on the way out
hehe - ok, fine But an irrigation system can still be more efficient than manual watering, thereby using less water, and still costing less. So there (It would take longer to recoup that upfront cost though)

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times
I know our neighbor had a well dug for irrigation because water is very expensive in Cary. It cost $6000. I'd be afraid the well would dry up before you broke even (I think it would take about 10 years to recoup your costs).

Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBTA View Post
hehe - ok, fine But an irrigation system can still be more efficient than manual watering, thereby using less water, and still costing less. So there (It would take longer to recoup that upfront cost though)
I agree I would imagine a well planned out system has to be more efficient than me running around with a hose all day.

I may consider installing one myself one day down the road and understand Rain Bird will help you design it if you send them a sketch of the yard and where you would like the main components located. This would take about 1/2 to 2/3 of the initial cost out.

What about those rain collection units, think thay would help with the water cost, assuming we got some rain now and then

Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 PM

108 posts, read 559,720 times
Putting in a sprinkler system is actually quite easy to do, especially before the sod goes in. The hardest part is digging the trenches for the pipe - which if rocky can be difficult. Go to Lowes or Home Depot - they will tell you exactly what you need and how to do it. Depending on the size of the yard, you could do it under a grand easily...you just need to do the labor or find someone to do it for you. PM me if you have questions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary