Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:21 PM

81 posts, read 300,958 times

Advertisements

We moved from Orange County and our insurance premiums dropped significantly here in NC. We went with Traveler's Insurance. I would shop around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 09:09 PM

850 posts, read 3,622,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
I would change, but I'm very loyal to USAA...they are a great company and I've no problems with them until now. I think I might call back tomorrow and try to get a 2nd opinion about it...now that I've researched this whole "reinsurance" policy. If still no luck, I might just check out other companies and see what the rate difference would be. Thanks!
You know, I did the same thing. We had been with our auto ins company for many many years without a hitch. I am all about being loyal but not at that cost! I told them I couldn't justify staying if I could pay 50% less and I got pretty much an "oh well".

Lauren

Old 09-26-2007, 03:44 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
You know, I did the same thing. We had been with our auto ins company for many many years without a hitch. I am all about being loyal but not at that cost! I told them I couldn't justify staying if I could pay 50% less and I got pretty much an "oh well".

Lauren
Companies just don't care about loyalty anymore.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM

275 posts, read 1,113,600 times
Nope...moved from CA (Orange County), we had AAA there. Here we have Erie...definitely lower...by about $400/yr.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:25 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,775,809 times
Shop around, Penner. I came from CA, but still have CA insurance. They'll keep the one car insured until the policy runs out next year (the other car is still in CA). However, shopping it here, it's definitely cheaper, even with the higher limits. Btw, you did say that the policies were identical, right? We found out the minimums here are much higher than the minimums in CA.

Anyway, I love AAA of CA and would never defect. But, unfortunately, AAA NC is managed by a different company. Go figure. Not the same service (AAA CA was incredibly -- and the mark of a good insurance company is not so much how they handle your policy when you aren't having issues, it's when an issue arises -- AAA CA came through wonderfully). So, I'll be shopping for something else and checking everybody.

Also, make sure, if you buy a house, if lumping your vehicle insurance with the home insurance (or rental insurance) will get you a better discount. We'll probably change our homeowner's policy just for that reason.

Lastly, I did not know about that ceding bit. Don't like the concept at all. However, I'm not much enthusiastic about NC in the first place. It's a state where, even if you have only 2% negligence, you supposedly cannot recover the 98% from the other person's insurance because of that (comparative vs. contributory, I think). Anyway, I like how it's handled in CA. The point system sucks here too. Seems they're much more harsh here than in CA (actually, a few insurance people here have already indicated that they wish a change would occur).

Aside from the differences, if you're a good driver, other than that ceding bit, you should see a drastic decrease in your insurance rates. Of course, CA doesn't have that personal property tax on vehicles, so I think it all comes out in the wash, anyway.

Good luck. Tell us how you do.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 AM

275 posts, read 1,113,600 times
Yep, AAA is just a broker for many other companies in NC...they don't write their own policies. Bummer, I liked them alot in CA too...

Old 10-03-2007, 04:37 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,775,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
Yep, AAA is just a broker for many other companies in NC...they don't write their own policies. Bummer, I liked them alot in CA too...
Yeah, the CA AAA underwrites for only a few states on the West I believe. Though, if I stick with them here in NC, my history will follow giving me the discounts I've earned through the years, I just don't care for the AAA insurance out here. I think, comparing the two and, then comparing with others locally, they did not give me the best quote. Whereas they gave me leaps and bound a better quote (and service) in CA for the last 12 years. I guess that's why places like Geico, and such, don't compare saving consumers a better rate with them since I never found anyone beating them (on my policy) in CA.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:32 PM

15 posts, read 49,415 times
Unfortunately credit does come into play for alot of companies now and from what I understand you are placed in "facility" for tickets/accidents and/or just credit. I also think the point system here is crazy.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 PM

460 posts, read 1,768,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Oh, and my insurance with USAA dropped almost in half moving from Michigan to NC. Liz
Mine dropped by around 40% when I moved from Low Angeles to Durham. I'm also with USAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary