Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

I recently upgraded by TWC interent to the 1.5 mb. It will only load google and other very basic, text based pages like this, and even then it takes a while. I'm tired of resetting my router every few days....I'm in NE Raleigh, what are the AT&T Uverse deals? A rep came to my house but I was wiring lights and couldn't talk, so I assume it's available now in my area. Thoughts? A buddy got $15/month for 12 months, wondering if that deal is still going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:05 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
We have the uverse 12 up 1 down service. I think it costs $45/month. Great, reliable service. Although, I have heard that if you're too far away from the distribution point in your neighborhood that it can be a nightmare.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
We have the uverse 12 up 1 down service. I think it costs $45/month. Great, reliable service. Although, I have heard that if you're too far away from the distribution point in your neighborhood that it can be a nightmare.
Sounds like what I have. We just went through a bunch of service visits trying to get better clarity with u-verse HD. They ended up changing out a lot of cables and ends, which did help. If you have an older house, this will be something to make sure AT&T addresses at install. Basically with their TV service, they just hook into any existing cable in the house.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
They do pretty heavy signal compression which causes their HD to be inferior to other services, unfortunately. It's all about bandwidth, and the little 2-wire twisted pair that goes from the distribution point in the neighborhood to your house can only handle so much.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I'm more interested in the internet as we already have great service from Dish for $44/month w/ free HD.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM

226 posts, read 506,771 times
I just got U-verse two weeks ago and love it. It's 12 down and 1.5 up. Speed is comparable to TWC, except I don't experience the slow downs during peak usage times like with TWC. Set up was simple and problem free.

The TV part isn't a concern since we just use antenna, but I've seen a lot of gripes about their HD quality.

Nonetheless, I was overjoyed to kick TWC to the curb!

Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I went from TWC to Uverse over a year ago at this point. The signal is way more stable and I have never had to reset the router for internet. Now for TV that's a whole other issue.....

Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 PM

97 posts, read 190,353 times
my TWC data is generally solid and FAST in chapel hill, and has been that way for the decade or so that i've been a subscriber. i see zero 'busy time' slowdown (albeit in a spread out semi-rural area), and i cannot remember the last time i had to reboot their equipment.

over here, uverse TV is terrible and data speeds range from somewhat slower to dramatically slower than TWC. i know there is a lot of hate for TWC, but their service level (that is contracted services, not customer service) so far exceeds any other player in my area, they really are the best choice.

if i had sufficient sightline, i might consider dish as an alternate TV source...but all i have is trees, so it's not an option. had a $70/mo + LD AT&T landline for a long time...flirted w/Vonage & ended up with $150 in a class action settlement, cell service is near zero here (though OK w/extender), now flat $30/mo via TWC VoIP. did i mention 50 x 5 data? crazy fast.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM

25 posts, read 52,941 times
I'm interested in this as well. I recently saw that I can get TWC 30/5 for the same price I'm paying to get 18/1.5 with U-Verse. I called and verified that there's no contract, nor termination fee. After 12 months the promotional price changes, but I'm sure I can work something else out, or else go back to U-Verse.

I had some problems with TWC a while back related to their contract/price-lock which is why I moved to U-Verse, not to mention the higher speeds. Now that TWC is on DOCSIS 3.0 and offering higher speeds (indeed their max is 50 down) than U-Verse can offer right now. Not having to deal with contracts, even if I have to haggle a promotion again in a year is still pretty attractive.

I'm weighing my options, but I'm having a hard time staying where I am at U-Verse knowing that I can get a little less than twice down and more than 3 times up on TWC. Even if the service slows with load, it's not likely to be slower than 18/1.5. Thoughts?

I should add that I called U-Verse to see if they could do anything under threat of cancellation, and there was nothing they could do. They could offer me $10 off here and there, but their VDSL implementation right now can't go higher than 24, which I could get for $8 more/month than what I'd get for 30/5 at TWC.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
I've had U-Verse for over 2 years and am VERY happy with it. We have the 6mb net speeds, and that's pretty much exactly what we get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary