Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Thanks for telling me who "doesn't"....now, can you tell me who "does" make this decision?
It's the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB). I've never fully understood why that agency does it and not the Census Bureau, but that's the way it is.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg_statpolicy#ms

Last edited by lb27608; 02-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Added URL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
It's the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB). I've never fully understood why that agency does it and not the Census Bureau, but that's the way it is.
Because it's a budgetary and statistical tool for federal government agencies, not a population measurement tool for census enumeration. MSAs are defined for a particular purpose and with a particular audience/use in mind. Many governement and commercial operations make reference to them for purposes that are different than those for which OMB defines them (and then some complain that the MSA doesn't meet their particular requirements).

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM

263 posts, read 572,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Here is a PDF map showing the annexation and serviceagreement.

County line is shown in black. Blue-lined areas are in Durham County but under Raleigh control (green portions are already part of Raleigh and the rest is part of the extra territorial jurisdiction for future addition). Red-lined areas are in Wake County but serviced by Durham County.
It may be fun to know that even though Durham (city) has an agreement to eventually annex the properties on that map, there are only two pieces of property in Wake County that are CURRENTLY part of City of Durham:

The pond and the southern 85% of the buildings (the county line runs right through the buildings) in a business park off Davis Dr.
Google Maps view

Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Your city services are water & sewer & garbage. And street cleaning or snow removal in the event of the rare snow.

But as others have said, schools are based on which county you live in, so in your cause this home would have Durham County Schools.
We are also looking at a home in this community (Regncy at Brier Creek Country Club). While we don't have children, (retired) we do realize the value of a good school system for resale. Is Durham County School System considered a good one?

Any other comments on this development / area are much appreciated.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We are also looking at a home in this community (Regncy at Brier Creek Country Club). While we don't have children, (retired) we do realize the value of a good school system for resale. Is Durham County School System considered a good one?

You'll note that Toll has large signs noting the parts of the development that have Wake County schools and the homes on the Wake side are larger. The neighborhood almost seems bifurcated along the Durham/Wake border.

We have a Raleigh address (not in the city) but are in Durham county. Mike is correct that your street address is driven by the USPS and taxes are based on county/city.

One word of caution - You need to be a bit vigilant about things like jury duty and car registration as folks assume a Raleigh address is Wake County. In our case, our cars are registered in Durham County even though Wake went as far as attempting to garnish my salary for non payment of Wake County taxes.

Back in the day when people had landline telephones it was a problem too. Legacy GTE (now Frontier) charged intralata toll to call Raleigh from Durham. So some folks would pay toll charges to call Raleigh (Wake/Bellsouth-ATT) from Raleigh (Durham/GTE=Frontier).

Welcome !

Frank

Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Short answer is no. Durham has come a long way from where it used to be, but IMO the schools aren't there yet. If possible, most parents would much rather have their children in Wake schools.

This was actually the rational behind Toll Brothers' development plan. They put the more "family friendly" homes on the Wake side and built the ranch style homes in Durham. They assumed that these homes would appeal more to empty nesters or the active adult lifestyle that didn't care about the school system.

In our situation, this is far from the truth. We are in our late 20's, want to build/buy in Brier Creek, plan to have children in the next couple of years, and love that floorplan. Unfortunately, we would be signing up for a new mortgage, CC membership/HOA, and private schools. We had to walk away. Hope that helps answer the resell question to our demographic.

If you look at the county map, Durham county actually took more of the neighborhood then they should have. It's a shame Toll Brothers didn't fight it to annex the last 10-20 lots into Wake.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 AM

263 posts, read 572,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUnative View Post
If you look at the county map, Durham county actually took more of the neighborhood then they should have. It's a shame Toll Brothers didn't fight it to annex the last 10-20 lots into Wake.
I'm not familiar with the community (other than looking at a map), but what do you mean by that? Counties don't annex property. The county line is fixed. As far as I know, the only time a property's county is up for debate is when it straddles both counties. (Well, and corrections based on survey errors, but that's rare)

Old 02-20-2013, 05:09 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
I'm not familiar with the community (other than looking at a map), but what do you mean by that? Counties don't annex property. The county line is fixed. As far as I know, the only time a property's county is up for debate is when it straddles both counties. (Well, and corrections based on survey errors, but that's rare)
I had exactly the same question when I read RDUnative's post. County lines can only be changed by the General Assembly, except in the case of survey errors, which you noted. Toll Brothers knew exactly which county each lot was going into, or they should have.

Last edited by lb27608; 02-20-2013 at 06:39 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I posted earlier in this thread when we were considering buying in Regency. Our initial concern about this development being in Durham County and the resale considerations based on that county's school system was a non-issue. Toll Brothers built the section of Regency that is located in Durham as one-story ranch homes directed towards a mature owner. It's like an active adult community in here.

I know of only one couple with small children who purchased in this section of Regency, Their kids go to private school, and I feel rather sorry for those kids who have no one under the age of 50 to play with. No matter how much you like the location or the floor plan, I would NOT consider it a good choice for anyone under that age, but it's great if you're looking for a 'mature' crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary