Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,518 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I are considering moving to the Cary, Raleigh, NC area. We are looking for an area with much better schools for our future kids. We want to have time to get settled into an area before having children. (I'm a planner if you couldn't tell). We want to move in the next year or two, but I was hoping I could get some suggestions of good neighborhoods in Cary, Morrisville, or Northern Raleigh.

Our range is probably around $225,000 give or take. I really love a neighborhood with character, and mature trees, not as much the very new neighborhoods where every single house looks the same. But if the price is right, of course we are willing to look! I don't like being right in the middle of a city or busy areas, close enough, yet far enough away. And of course the school district is important to us for the future. Any suggestions on good neighborhoods I can go visit and look for homes in??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
If you're young, without kids, why not move here and rent first? Get an apartment for a 6 month lease and explore the area yourself. My wife and I took that approach and we had a 11 month old baby and 2 dogs at the time. We put most of our stuff in storage. We spent the weekends driving around looking at neighborhoods, exploring parks and hiking trails, eating lunch out at restaurants around town. etc.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Yeah, I would definitely rent first. My wife and I (fiance at the time) did that when we moved here in 2005. There are so many different areas you may want to consider living and it really helps living here for a while to get a feel for what areas will work best for you relative to where your jobs are, what activities you like to do and how much you are looking to spend. There are many opportunities to rent apartments or a house while getting a better feel for the area. Apartment wise I like the area in North Raleigh around Lake Lynn (Creedmoor Road / Lynn Road Area). There are a ton of affordable and nice apartments there and it provides easy access to Crabtree Valley Mall and I-540 whaich makes getting to other parts of the Triangle very easy.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 02-09-2012 at 09:05 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks both of you! I agree, and I have considered that.. the only thing I am worried about is we have two large dogs that would NOT do well in an apartment. So with that being said, are there rental properties as in single family homes, or town homes that would be a good fit? I know up here they have town home rental "neighborhoods"... but that might not be the case down there. Would I be losing out on a lot of money by renting a town home or single family? Up here... the rent is INSANE! Rent is more than a mortgage here now. Are you aware of an average price range?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 AM

Also, I'm new on this thing. What is the difference if I reply to a persons post, or just add a post myself like I did? Will you get a notification at any point that a new post was added?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Also, I'm new on this thing. What is the difference if I reply to a persons post, or just add a post myself like I did? Will you get a notification at any point that a new post was added?

You did it right. It is smart to start a new topic in a new "thread" rather than to get into another thread and hijack it for your own use.

When you go to the Triangle Forum on CD, //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/ you will see that threads with posts you have read are not bold font, and threads with posts you have not read are listed in bold font. That serves as basic notification, although you can opt to "subscribe" to forums via a list in the forum, or by email. If you get into a lengthy thread, you can generate a LOT of emails. I think it better to just check in from time to time.

Forum threads float to the top when there are new responses.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,624 times
there are plenty of single-family homes & townhomes that might fit your needs for renting with pets. i think the first order of business would be for you to consider where the job(s) will be located as that will help you better acclimate your home location so that there is not a crazy commute.

do you have any ideas on job(s) & location(s)?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Also, if you want to respond to something someone wrote, click the "quote" button in that person's box, and their post with come up in a new "reply" box - and then you can write what you want.

I agree with renting. It's the way to go if you don't have kids.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM

699 posts, read 1,705,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Thanks both of you! I agree, and I have considered that.. the only thing I am worried about is we have two large dogs that would NOT do well in an apartment. So with that being said, are there rental properties as in single family homes, or town homes that would be a good fit? I know up here they have town home rental "neighborhoods"... but that might not be the case down there. Would I be losing out on a lot of money by renting a town home or single family? Up here... the rent is INSANE! Rent is more than a mortgage here now. Are you aware of an average price range?
Our daughter is renting a townhouse and her next door neighbor has four huge dogs that look like boxer mixes.

She was stunned at how many places let you have dogs in this area, some don't even charge extra. In MN and WI, it is a challenge to find a place that will even let you have dogs and then you always have to pay an additional deposit and monthly fee. It might be all the dog poop in the snow that landlords get stuck with in the spring melt which is not an issue here.

As to losing a lot money by renting, depends on what you rent and how long.

You will likely come out ahead by waiting for a good deal on a home you like in neighborhood you love.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
there are plenty of single-family homes & townhomes that might fit your needs for renting with pets. i think the first order of business would be for you to consider where the job(s) will be located as that will help you better acclimate your home location so that there is not a crazy commute.

do you have any ideas on job(s) & location(s)?

My job location would more than likely be in Cary, or RTP, mines a little more flexible than my husbands. He will more than likely be taking a job as a police officer for Durham. As a police officer, they generally don't like living in the same area they work. But they have a requirement that we must live no more than 35 miles from the courthouse in Durham. When I searched on a map that was Morrisville, Cary, and Northern Raleigh for the most part, I believe. Plus I have a feeling that commuting in North Carolina is a heck of a lot different than the DC area, here you can work 20 miles away, but be commuting for an hour or longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary