Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 PM

49 posts, read 140,394 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are young retirees and have lived in Carolina Preserve for 2 years. We absolutely love the community and have made many friends who are in our age group. The community is mixed age wise so there are people to meet at any age. It has a wonderful club house and many activities. You can be as active or inactive as you want to be. The area in general is great for retirement as there is so much to do. We are very happy with our home and have not had any real issues with the structure of the house since we have moved in. I'm sure the community is not for everyone but our experience has been a good one.

For those nearing retirement who choose to live in a non active living community it is important to research the ages of the families in the community. You may not want to be one of the few families who are at retirement age when the other families are much younger. I have spoken to several people who have opted for a regular community and find themselves somewhat isolated and unable to make friends. Again it is a personal decision but something to consider. My husband and I are pretty social so we wanted a community where there were many people our age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 AM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Who you can sell to is an issue for me. I cannot see staying in a home for more than 10 years. Too many places to see!! That said The Wilmington/Southport area is nice BUT, Hurricanes, a Nuke Plant in Southport.. Cherry Point where Nukes are stored by the military... Well and that summer Humidity... Not for this person

Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We are, in fact, leaving to look at the Wilmington/South Port area (including St. James Plantation) at the end of February.

I'd also say that what one person views as a negative, another may view as a positive.
Stayed at St. James Plantation while my daughter did an audit at the Troon Golf Course. Gorgeous property. A bit isolated from any shopping though. And, when in Southport (the little costal town so filled with history and great ambiance), go to the seafood restaurant on the water there. Take a stroll to the old cemetary and down the streets and see the old jail. Quite an experience. Loved it !!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM

37 posts, read 61,511 times
does anyone know the status of the 55+ community -- Four Seasons Renaissance Durham by Hovnanian? Has any of it been built yet?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGAL47 View Post

For those nearing retirement who choose to live in a non active living community it is important to research the ages of the families in the community. You may not want to be one of the few families who are at retirement age when the other families are much younger. I have spoken to several people who have opted for a regular community and find themselves somewhat isolated and unable to make friends. Again it is a personal decision but something to consider. My husband and I are pretty social so we wanted a community where there were many people our age.
This is definitely a factor in our decision to move out of the home we purchased in 2007. And one of the primary reasons we are very interested in a 55+ community. It has been unexpectedly difficult to meet people, especially since many of the folks in the 55+ age range in our community (in AZ) are snowbirds.

Unfortunately, there are few 55+ communities in NC, so we will be considering other options, such as Saint James Plantation.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:19 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie800 View Post
does anyone know the status of the 55+ community -- Four Seasons Renaissance Durham by Hovnanian? Has any of it been built yet?

The infrastructure is in place, streets, utilities, lights.
The sales model is open. Counting model homes, there are about a dozen or so built or coming out of the ground.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 29,383 times
I'm moving there July '12 and have had the same concern as your clients, but I've chatted with some residents in their 60's (given to me by my Realtor and found on this site) and been assured there are plenty of us. It appears to be the type of community I want, I'm comforted by the availability of the use of the Amberly Clubhouse and pool where families are plentiful, and I'm "going for it." :-)

Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
Hey Annie, You might also want to look at Amberly right next door. I just sold to two different New Yorkers about your age and single. Actually they bought on the same street. We did look at Carolina Preserve though and they changed their mind. Just another option for you.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
This is definitely a factor in our decision to move out of the home we purchased in 2007. And one of the primary reasons we are very interested in a 55+ community. It has been unexpectedly difficult to meet people, especially since many of the folks in the 55+ age range in our community (in AZ) are snowbirds.

Unfortunately, there are few 55+ communities in NC, so we will be considering other options, such as Saint James Plantation.
Just to update this resurrected thread, we did look at SJP - lovely community but WAY TO REMOTE for us. We looked at other areas around Wilmington, which is a charming city, but nota good fit for us.

We tooj a two day trip to Raleigh primarily to visit CP. Nice communiy,but we didn't find floorplans that we especially liked, hated the total lack of customization options from the builder,and felt they were overpriced given the "quality" of the constructin and small lot size.

We ended up contracting for a new build at Regency at Brier Creek. Gave up some stuff (indoor pool,less clubhouse activities included in the regular HOA fees), but the location, floor plans,lot suze and construction more than makes up for that for us.

Arrived yesterday, we move into an apartment on Monday until the new house is ready in November or December!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:30 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Arrived yesterday, we move into an apartment on Monday until the new house is ready in November or December!
I'm just curious why it takes so long for Toll Brothers to build, like 5-6 month. Is it the customization of the floor-plan or backlog? Or do they say their quality takes longer.

We live in an area with many production builder houses which go up in 3 months. Of course, they do minimal customization, and the crews are highly efficient.

Good luck with the house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary