Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times

Advertisements

This is the sort of question that is best answered by a search of realty sites- they have house finders- plug in your search parameters and out comes your answer!

After you do that, if you then search here to learn about specific neighborhoods you will learn a lot.

If you have any remaining questions, or all the info here seems stale, ask a question, and you will prob ably get some very insightful responses. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM

156 posts, read 304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
This is the sort of question that is best answered by a search of realty sites- they have house finders- plug in your search parameters and out comes your answer!

After you do that, if you then search here to learn about specific neighborhoods you will learn a lot.

If you have any remaining questions, or all the info here seems stale, ask a question, and you will prob ably get some very insightful responses. Good luck with your search!

Thanks NYer! I've been on the realty sites alot in the past year quite honestly, and it seems I rarely see things in the vicinity of downtown. (I like Hotpads and walkscore for these features of course). What comes up has usually been a short car ride from downtown or a townhouse which made me feel it might be a super tight market for that area. Being ultra specific in a search is always asking for trouble no doubt.

Appreciate the help.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM

53 posts, read 88,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
Having said that-=--My spouse is pretty much set on walkability---not necessarily to the everyday places we have to get to because you'll always have to drive somewhere for shopping, but just to be around people in a setting conducive to meeting and greeting. You can end up on a charming street but may never see your neighbors. I get where he's coming from, everyone can have a pipe dream. You start with a wish list and then get real.
When I saw this comment from you it got me to thinking that while downtown WF may have walkability to a few shops and restaurants, yes, there are also a lot of large subdivisions that have parks, trails, active HOAs and are generally busy places with lots of neighbors being social and active. Bedford comes to mind - at least what I've seen of the area that I've been in, visiting friends. People 'loitered' on the street talking, people were walking pets, and it seemed like a friendly area. Just food for thought I guess. That a subdivision may potentially work for your needs too?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM

156 posts, read 304,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock11 View Post
When I saw this comment from you it got me to thinking that while downtown WF may have walkability to a few shops and restaurants, yes, there are also a lot of large subdivisions that have parks, trails, active HOAs and are generally busy places with lots of neighbors being social and active. Bedford comes to mind - at least what I've seen of the area that I've been in, visiting friends. People 'loitered' on the street talking, people were walking pets, and it seemed like a friendly area. Just food for thought I guess. That a subdivision may potentially work for your needs too?

I think this is a great point. And it would most definitely open up a whole lot more options for us. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 PM

53 posts, read 88,787 times
Quote:
I think this is a great point. And it would most definitely open up a whole lot more options for us. Thanks!
You're welcome! Some subdivisions even are mixed use with some shops and restaurants within them, just a matter of finding the right one for you. I guess that means lots of looking! Fun and frustrating at the same time, imo.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,088 times
I suggest Bennett Park or the Registry at Bennett Park. I live in this area, and downtown is a quick jog or long walk away.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
If a n'hood with shopping within walking distance IS a consideration, you should look into Heritage.

It is huge with shopping all around it. However, to get from one end of Heritage to the other is going to be well over one mile. I guess you could take it in phases!!!

Vicki

Old 02-14-2012, 08:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:

Yes, opening up your search to a wider radius will not only give you a feel for price ranges, amenities, and other criteria you may have but it helps to eliminate what you know you don't want. Sometimes it is more important to know what you do not want after seeing it, because you will know right away what you do want when you see it. The entire house hunting experience is a process of elimination, give yourself time and have an open mind.

A good Realtor will stick with you from beginning to end in the process. I've had people who couldn't sell their homes out of state, some for more than a year after showing them properties where they wanted to be. We appreciate the loyalty and reward clients with the best service possible. You are getting good advice on this forum. You may even decide to move sooner if you can manage it. The best to you !

Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If a n'hood with shopping within walking distance IS a consideration, you should look into Heritage.

It is huge with shopping all around it. However, to get from one end of Heritage to the other is going to be well over one mile. I guess you could take it in phases!!!
Vicki

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Vicki. Hope everything improves and he is well again soon !

Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,130 times
I live in WF, but not the "downtown" area. I know there are homes to be had withink walking distance but they are older homes (more historic district homes) and I know almost no one that lives within walking of the coffee shops/antique stores. Its a really cute area and i go most weekends for the farmers market and stuff like that, plus the library.

We live in a planned community called Heritage. you can google and take a look. PM if you have specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary