Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:25 AM

28 posts, read 72,500 times

Advertisements

Could someone offer some suggestions for neighborhoods with 1/2 acre or more lots, good elementary schools and houses in the 600-700,000 range. We are planning on moving up from S Florida next year. I'm sure you've all seen this request a million times, but help would be appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpneco View Post
Could someone offer some suggestions for neighborhoods with 1/2 acre or more lots, good elementary schools and houses in the 600-700,000 range. We are planning on moving up from S Florida next year. I'm sure you've all seen this request a million times, but help would be appreciated!!!
What part of the Triangle are you interested in? This is a large area so you might want to narrow things down based on commute to work ect. Are you planning to work at a company in RTP or is that still an unknown at this point? At your price range I think your options are going to be plentiful!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 72,500 times
We would base our decision largely on the schools. From my online research I am leaning toward North Raleigh. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 AM

20 posts, read 89,748 times
As others have said in this thread, it largely depends on where you want to be located in the triangle, and how long a commute you desire.

If you want to be in southern part of Cary, you can check out this blog about Lochmere. It is close enough to Raleigh, and convenient shopping, yet far enough away from the airport as to not have loud planes flying overhead. It is a community with mature landscaping, greenway trails, lakes, and lots of kids of varying ages. Cary Real Estate » Blog Archive » Lochmere Summer Carnival (broken link)

Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 AM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
If you want North Raleigh, some neighborhoods to start with are North Ridge and Cross Gate. River Oaks has some of the lower price ones in your range. I have seen a few bigger lots in Bent Tree. Stonebridge has some very nice large lots and you can get in under your indicatred range.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:01 PM

70 posts, read 254,879 times
Some of the best elementary schools are in Cary. (Davis Drive and Highcroft, the two top rated ones.)

That being said, you might want to look at Highcroft in Cary. Definitely fits your price range, and the elementary school is actually inside the subdivision, so it's very walkable. Lot sizes may be a bit smaller than 1/2 acre though. Many are around .3 acre or so, but there are also larger ones. Highcroft - a new homes community in Cary, NC - just outside of Raleigh

Cary Park is also nearby. They have good sized lots, and it's a beautiful area.
Discover Cary Park

Old 09-04-2007, 03:48 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
In that price range, I think you will have a wide selection of neighborhoods in N Raleigh.
You should not have to acept a lot of RDU Airport flight noise, and should be able to avoid being right up against I-540.

You will also have some fine opportunities closer into Raleigh, in the Laurel Hills or Olde Raleigh areas. Wonderful conveniences nearby!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:54 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
And if you were to consider Cary, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Lochmere, as the poster above did, or MacGregor Downs, or MacGregor West, or Wessex.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:01 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
What else is important to you in a neighborhood, and what are you basing "good schools" on? Depending on your criteria, the Chapel Hill schools typically have higher test scores, and the highest average SAT scores in the state. In your price range however, you could spend less, and send your kids to a great private school as well.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:57 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
There are many opportunities in North Raleigh the $600K to $700K price range. You will find more resales fall in that price range, as many of the new home neighborhoods with larger lots are becoming increasingly expensive. Here are a few options to consider (in alphabetical order):
  • Adams Mountain. Built in the mid 1990s. Prices start in the mid $400Ks, although most are in the $500Ks to $800Ks.
  • Bent Tree. Built in the late 1990s. Prices from the mid $400Ks to the $800Ks. Watch out for homes that are near to or back up to I-540.
  • Cross Gate. Built in the 1990s. Homes from the mid $500Ks, with some approaching $1 million. Watch out as some back up to or are near I-540.
  • Crossmoor. Built in the 200s. Prices range from the mid $500Ks well into the $800Ks.
  • Ethans Glen. A mixture of resales (from the early 2000s) and new construction. New homes go from the low $500Ks; new construction from the mid $600s to the upper $800Ks.
  • Mt. Vernon Crossing. Resales built starting in the early 2000s. Most homes start in the mid $600Ks, with some approaching $1 million. There are a few that go as low as the mid $400Ks.
  • Olde Creedmoor. Built in the late 1990s. Homes are available from the $600Ks. The neighborhood is just inside the RDU noise corridor.
  • Papillion Park. Built in the 2000s. Most homes are outside your price range, but an occasional resale can be found for less than $700K. The neighborhood is just inside the RDU noise corridor.
  • Saddleridge. Build in the 1990s. Prices range from the upper $400Ks into the $600Ks.
  • Stonebridge. Mostly built in the 1980s. This is a very large neighborhood with a wide range of prices, depending on when and where the home was built. Homes can go as low as the mid $300Ks, with others costing in the upper $600Ks.
  • Swans Mill. Built in the mid 1990s. Most homes are more expensive than your price range, but there are some that can be found under $700K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary