Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,952,010 times

Advertisements

If you are looking at a house for sale and would like to know if the addition of a bedroom a long time ago was properly permitted and approved is there a way to check without calling atention to it with the county..If I call and ask I am afraid that if it is not permitted that they will then investigate..

I can ask the sellers but I like to double check their information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,526,486 times
If you look the house up on wakegov.com, click on the notes on the top and it should tell you if any permits were ever issued. Are you in Wake county?

Other option is ask the realtor if there is one involved.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,888,676 times
Why would you care if you are calling attention to it with the county?

I'd ask the sellers and if they say yes it was all done properly, then I'd call the county to confirm.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM

379 posts, read 745,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Why would you care if you are calling attention to it with the county?

I'd ask the sellers and if they say yes it was all done properly, then I'd call the county to confirm.
Furthermore, I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't done properly.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,677,015 times
Anyone can search the records. For example...you can go to the Wake County Real Estate Data website and enter the address. You can see the previous owners, additions, all kinds of data about the property.

I'll post the link and hope it is allowed...although it is a .com address it is obviously not selling us anything.

Real Estate Search

Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,952,010 times
The addition was added in the 80's and current owners don't know.

Thanks for the link.

I think that it is showing that it was done with a permit.

Why do I care about calling attention..because with my luck I will buy the house and a week later Wake County will tell me it has to be torn down

Old 02-20-2012, 03:02 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,138,591 times
If you find out that it wasn't permitted, MLS rules say it can't be counted as square footage. If it wasn't permitted, I'd want it to be permitted asap. For one reason, if it wasn't permitted, it is ILLEGAL.

Secondly, you don't know if it was built to code and if you had a fire and your insurance company found out it wasn't permitted, they may not pay out to rebuild. This could be a safety issue.

Thirdly, when it is time to re sell, it will become an issue. It can be costly to get it permitted after it is built and a homeowner can be fined for it not being permitted.

Vicki

Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 PM

600 posts, read 1,217,127 times
Interesting this came up today because I just looked at a house yesterday with the same issue, except that the additional area actually doubled the size of the house so that is huge. My realtor sent their realtor questions about this last Thursday and we haven't gotten a response. Is this common? Incidentally, in this case, the owner of the house also owns a local construction business.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM

5,782 posts, read 6,831,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by static_g View Post
Furthermore, I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't done properly.
Just because there was a permit, doesn't mean it was done "properly". I guess I am skeptical, as I was around in the early '80s when Cary did their "drive by" inspections. I did part-time electrical work for awhile and have seen some of the work done by the "professionals".

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM

832 posts, read 2,510,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just because there was a permit, doesn't mean it was done "properly". I guess I am skeptical, as I was around in the early '80s when Cary did their "drive by" inspections. I did part-time electrical work for awhile and have seen some of the work done by the "professionals".
While that may have been true, I don't believe it is the norm... you're talking about 30 years ago! The main thing to remember is that there is a paper trail on properly permitted and inspected improvements/changes done to a property. For insurance and future sale of the property, this paper trail is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary