Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Remedy is loud, small and very cramped. Neighbors are too close for comfort if I was trying to get to know someone. Irregardless, Gravy and Sitti are sort of pricy for a college student and Buku is seriously high end for a college student first date. That's more of a yuppie first date place IMO.
That's funny - I've never been in remedy an experienced a loud environment. I agree it is small but I find the booths to be cozy and like people watching from there as it is quite a unique place.

Regarding your other comments, that is why I ranked them from casual to fancy when I suggested them. I did this because the OP didn't provide details on a price range. Since they aren't drinking you could easily have a dinner for two at any of these places for $35-$40 or less (even cheaper at Remedy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
"I'm looking for a place that is quiet enough to have a conversation and nice enough to impress her, without going too far. Any ideas?"

Casa Carbone on Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh is a perfect fit!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Porter's Tavern is relatively quiet and not too expensive. Just a thought. Also, you cold try Cantina 18 over in Cameron Village if you like Mexican food.

Have fun!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That's funny - I've never been in remedy an experienced a loud environment.
All it takes is one loud table and the entire place is very loud. It happened to me once already.

To add to the list, consider PieBird on Person St. The food is good, the vibe is cool and If she likes desserts, you'll have her VERY impressed.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
i like a lot of the recommendations. downtown raleigh has some really great places but they are popular so they do get loud due to acoustics & people. the best places (in my opinon) are where you can get outside seating that has some seclusion or separation. of course, the weather isn't completely cooperating for that right now but come springtime, it's on.

the rockford is really, really loud, especially on weekend evenings. if you are doing a weekday evening, far better. the problem with rockford is that it's all open tables & can be cramped if you get next to the chatterbox table of 4+. that being said, i do love me some rockford. perhaps you may want to keep that as a casual dinner place for later in the relationship, rather than a first date place.

piebird is great if you get there early enough on a weekend evening. piccola italia at cameron village has a special fondness in my heart as they have excellent pizza & pasta with cozy booths. humble pie is also a good choice (& even better when it warms up enough to be on the terrace).

we wish you the best of luck with your new ladyfriend.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
When I was at NCSU 518 West, The Rockford, and Porter's Tavern were all typical places people went on dates. I think wherever you chose will be fine. From talking to others your age many don't really "date" any more so the fact you are willing to take her out for dinner is a step up from many guys your age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary