Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,897 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a room down by Progress Energy Center and the Marriott seems to be sold out on our night which would have been our first choice. Right now we have a room at the Sheraton but the reviews are kind of sketchy and mixed. Does anyone have any recent stays or comments about the Sheraton? If thumbs down is the verdict, what other hotels would people recommend around that area? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,017 times
Marriott is sold out? what night is this and what's going on !! I like the Sheraton, I think it actually has a nicer lobby/first floor.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,886 times
Although a like the Marriott, I think the Sheraton is fine. Before the Marriott existed, I used to put clients up there (I worked in the building next door). I recall that those that stay regularly complained about the elevator, so learned to ask for a lower floor. It has been through several renovations recently, so has the nice Sheraton beds, etc. If you want to be downtown, near the conv center or PE Center, it is your next best bet to Marriott. Your next option is the Clarion and I don't think it is any better than Sheraton, but farther away.

I so wish they would build more hotel options downtown!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
You'd be surprised how often that Marriott sells out. Pretty much any time something is happening at the convention center. My friend is getting married in October and tried to get a block of rooms at the Marriott and they were sold out the entire weekend.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Marriott is sold out? what night is this and what's going on !! I like the Sheraton, I think it actually has a nicer lobby/first floor.
There is a convention in town like eva guessed, which apparently ate up all of the rooms. I can kick someone out for the night as I am Marriott Platinum but they are charging me a $349 rack rate to take advantage of it which is ridiculously overpriced in my opinion. They would have to walk the guest I am kicking out and put them up somewhere else which costs them money to do so I guess they are passing the hurt along.

So the Sheraton it is. How is the parking down there? Any suggestions for that aspect?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
There's about 20 bajillion parking decks around there. The Sheraton has their own deck across the street from the hotel. Problem is during conventions the parking deck gets full real quick. As long as you're leaving your car there and walking around downtown though that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
We love staying at the Sheraton! Have stayed there for a Governor's Inaugural Ball & First Night Raleigh.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
I've stayed there, as it was required for a 3 day workshop I was attending for work, but that was almost a year ago. It was fine, then. Nothing to write a home about, but nothing to complain about either. Better than the now defunct Brownstone Holiday Inn that we stayed at for the last one. One guy had his window busted and his GPS stolen there. Our annual ball was at the Sheraton in November. I didn't hear any complaints from the couples that spent the night, some rave reviews, in fact. I just went home myself, as I was local to the area.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I've stayed there, as it was required for a 3 day workshop I was attending for work, but that was almost a year ago. It was fine, then. Nothing to write a home about, but nothing to complain about either. Better than the now defunct Brownstone Holiday Inn that we stayed at for the last one. One guy had his window busted and his GPS stolen there. Our annual ball was at the Sheraton in November. I didn't hear any complaints from the couples that spent the night, some rave reviews, in fact. I just went home myself, as I was local to the area.

Oh you have to give the Brownstone another try now that it's Doubletree. I chose it over the Clarion (for many reasons) to have a block for my wedding... and that was before I knew they were renovating! It was icing on the cake!

To the OP, I think the Sheraton is wayyy nicer than the Clarion, and it has a great location. I think you'll be pleased there.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone. I did a little search for the other hotels listed on the PE Center website and the Clarion is full, the Sheraton is now full (glad I grabbed a room when I did), and the Marriott is still full.

We will let you all know how it goes and hope its not an absolute madhouse downtown when we are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary