Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

BBC News - How to get America to walk

way to go, raleigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
They drove right past my parents' house in one shot!

Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,889 times
Very cool.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:41 AM

28 posts, read 91,575 times
I don't spend a lot of time in downtown, but I like the concept behind the signs. Glad they are still up after all that time.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM

915 posts, read 2,382,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-495 View Post
I don't spend a lot of time in downtown, but I like the concept behind the signs. Glad they are still up after all that time.
The sings were taken down yesterday because no permit was taken out for the signs. Raleigh's bike-ped committee is going to work with Matt Tomasulo, the original installer, to get a permit.

Raleigh likes walking idea, not the signs - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 02-23-2012, 10:37 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,983 times
interesting. i'm wondering if silver got pressure about it because he is featured in the BBC video indicating they did not get permitted & seemed to give it an informal pass.

can't say that i argue that he needs to encourage them to go through the proper channels in order to avoid additional groups that may try the same tactic.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:46 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,062 times
I think it's really nice that Raleigh takes these opportunities to improve the city rather than just saying, "RULES ARE RULES!" I know in other cities "guerrilla" urbanism is looked down upon, even if the idea is good, because it didn't go through proper channels. Good on Raleigh for encouraging these folks to get these signs done up officially so they can stick around for more than a few rainstorms.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I think it's really nice that Raleigh takes these opportunities to improve the city rather than just saying, "RULES ARE RULES!" I know in other cities "guerrilla" urbanism is looked down upon, even if the idea is good, because it didn't go through proper channels. Good on Raleigh for encouraging these folks to get these signs done up officially so they can stick around for more than a few rainstorms.
The signs were really professional and would withstand more than few rainstorms.
I attended a screening of Urbanized (a documentary film by Gary Hustwit) at the Rialto in early November and Silver was there encouraging the audience to get involved by forming their own groups and bring issues to the city. In the end, this is a PERFECT example of doing the right thing and creating visibility. Job well done Matt!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 AM

814 posts, read 2,006,886 times
I am a BIG fan of this project and thrilled that Mitch is working with them to get it done right. He says the process should take about 2 months to get them back up.

But I have to say I also agree with him that he needs to apply the same rules to them as he applies to everyone else. As usual, people say "you don't need to enforce the rules" when they really like something. But if the next guy does something similar, but it looks like Cr/// then all they have to do is say "you let so and so do it" and there goes the neighborhood.

These signs were a great idea and well done, they really make you think about walking. But they were put up with zip ties, which was an effective method, but didn't look that great. Imagine if everyone starting putting up signs on poles with zip ties. It would look horrible. Glad to see the permit enforced equitably, but also the Planning Dept supporting a popular project.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
I am a BIG fan of this project and thrilled that Mitch is working with them to get it done right. He says the process should take about 2 months to get them back up.

But I have to say I also agree with him that he needs to apply the same rules to them as he applies to everyone else. As usual, people say "you don't need to enforce the rules" when they really like something. But if the next guy does something similar, but it looks like Cr/// then all they have to do is say "you let so and so do it" and there goes the neighborhood.

These signs were a great idea and well done, they really make you think about walking. But they were put up with zip ties, which was an effective method, but didn't look that great. Imagine if everyone starting putting up signs on poles with zip ties. It would look horrible. Glad to see the permit enforced equitably, but also the Planning Dept supporting a popular project.
At the end of the day, Matt understood exactly how nice he had to make these signs and exactly how to put them up so as to strike a balance between urban disobediance and the "cool factor". Nothing was damaged or destroyed. The city really blew it the last time with the Barrel Monster creater. They came across as way too heavy handed and I think they have learned their lesson and figured out how to strike the balance necessary to foster creativity, encourage civic participation and run the city effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary