Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,088,409 times

Advertisements

NC statutes allow the removal of the covenants and dissolution of the planned community if a proper majority of the plot owners so vote. Perhaps some attorney might want to start advertising this service since there obviously is a need for it.

Only bad thing is some community declarations give the developer 3 votes for each lot they still own. Might make it hard to dissolve the covenants until the builder pulls out.

Obviously, builder's sales is the reason for the covenants, not any interest in protecting the owners over the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 AM

285 posts, read 1,037,426 times
Kudos to the N&O for exposing this outrageous HOA policy! Do these people have any idea of the seriousness of this drought? It doesn't just affect member of that community- it affects all the area residents!

I wonder if citizens of the town at large can protest and have something done. How can a HOA get away with advocating breaking water restrictions? It doesn't have authority over a town's mandates.

Xeriscaping is the answer, IMO. This area has regular droughts and xeriscaping (landscaping in ways that do not require supplemental irrigation) would allow homeowners to maintain an attractive landscape without overtaxing our water supply, drought or no drought.

Don't even get me started on the wastefulness of gigantic lawns. I'm probably way in the minority in this region, I'm sure.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM

3,368 posts, read 7,729,083 times
Usually bad press is enough to get something like this under control. Hopefully that will be the case here. If not, hopefully the Governor will step in and issue an order suspending some of these homeowner rules for the duration of the draft.

I've heard of several cases like this. I know someone in Falls River who had to attend a class recently on proper lawn growing techniques and has to come up with an action plan on their lawn.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:29 AM

43,030 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Usually bad press is enough to get something like this under control. Hopefully that will be the case here. If not, hopefully the Governor will step in and issue an order suspending some of these homeowner rules for the duration of the draft.

I've heard of several cases like this. I know someone in Falls River who had to attend a class recently on proper lawn growing techniques and has to come up with an action plan on their lawn.

The Weekly World News is closing because truth is stranger than fiction.

Gotta go.
I need to work up an "Action Plan" for scratching my posterior.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,726,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
Kudos to the N&O for exposing this outrageous HOA policy! Do these people have any idea of the seriousness of this drought? It doesn't just affect member of that community- it affects all the area residents!

I wonder if citizens of the town at large can protest and have something done. How can a HOA get away with advocating breaking water restrictions? It doesn't have authority over a town's mandates.

Xeriscaping is the answer, IMO. This area has regular droughts and xeriscaping (landscaping in ways that do not require supplemental irrigation) would allow homeowners to maintain an attractive landscape without overtaxing our water supply, drought or no drought.

Don't even get me started on the wastefulness of gigantic lawns. I'm probably way in the minority in this region, I'm sure.
I too am a proponet of xeriscaping. I agree about the gigantic lawns being wasteful. This is our first HOA neighborhood and I was suprised to learn that in the front area and side areas of my lawn at least 50% has to be grass as mandated by the HOA. I've seen some lovely xeriscaped yards that had 0% grass.

When we were considering moving to Wake Forest we were thinking about looking at resales in Margot's Pond. Now I'm SO thankful that we looked elsewhere!! While I'm not crazy about HOAs ours is not that unreasonable.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM

282 posts, read 833,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I need to work up an "Action Plan" for scratching my posterior.
I'd like to see an HOA's "action plan" on making me pay for any work they contract for during a drought... Hell Freezing Over comes to mind....

Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,063,418 times
When I lived in CA, it was not uncommon to paint your lawn green!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:45 AM

43,030 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
I'd like to see an HOA's "action plan" on making me pay for any work they contract for during a drought... Hell Freezing Over comes to mind....
Well....When we see that much ice, make sure you get it off your sidewalk, or they'll bill you for that too!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM

285 posts, read 1,037,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
When I lived in CA, it was not uncommon to paint your lawn green!
Is that toxic? I mean, can't the paint somehow get into the water supply? Or is there a non-toxic, "green" (no pun intended) paint?

California has such beautiful desert plant life- I would not want a lawn there at all- I'd plant cacti and yucca and have lots of native plants, and use a lot of rocks. The plants in California are so much more beautiful than a bunch of grass.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:00 AM

3,368 posts, read 7,729,083 times
^Keep in mind that California is a big state with quite a variety of landscapes.

I've seen a few homes in my subdivision totally get rid of grass and go all "natural" area. One is a Charleston-style home and it looks quite nice. The other is a larger home and it looks a little odd next to homes with lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary