Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:04 AM

81 posts, read 270,396 times

Advertisements

what area of triangle have the style/age house with basements iv looked on net doesnt seem to be many around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
The triangle area doesn't have too many basements (you can do a search on this forum for the subject, I know there are some responses to it). The basements are built as "daylight basements" meaning, on a sloped lot, where the back part of the basement is windows and a door. There are some older homes inside in the beltline that may have your typical basement, but many are just dirt basements.

I know in chapel hill (on tinkerbell specifically) we lived in a house with a typical basement.........now that was 1972, and the house is still there!

You can have an realtor do a search for you with homes specifically with basements.......

Leigh

Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
basements are built as "daylight basements" meaning, on a sloped lot, where the back part of the basement is windows and a door.
Aren't these called "Walk-out" basements? I also wanted a basement when we bought a house here, but only some of the more expensive new construction or old small homes had them. In Northern VA, just about all new houses have walkout basements and the topograghy and soil are pretty much the same as here. I wonder why they don't build more with basements here? It's always cheaper to finish a basement, then it would be to add a similar size addition to your home.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:05 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
About half the homes in our neighborhood in Cary has them. They're very nice, but were not in our budget. I'm a bit skeptical of the possible long term water issues given the soil here--especially with our builder.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
There are a few basement homes and lots in the new Brightleaf development in eastern Durham near Brier Creek. There are also a number of newer homes in Long Lake with basements. As a general rule, they're pretty hard to come by in the Triangle area.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 AM

43,285 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Basements are easy to find.

If that is what you want, narrow your fields and only look at basement homes.
Just put them into your search, or have your agent do so, like Leigh said.

I just did a quick MLS search, and came up with 1797 active Triangle home listings with basements.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Aren't these called "Walk-out" basements? I also wanted a basement when we bought a house here, but only some of the more expensive new construction or old small homes had them. In Northern VA, just about all new houses have walkout basements and the topograghy and soil are pretty much the same as here. I wonder why they don't build more with basements here? It's always cheaper to finish a basement, then it would be to add a similar size addition to your home.
I've hear them called both "daylight basements" and "walk-out basements". Both terms are correct.
Basement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reason why you don't see as many basements here as you do up north is because we don't suffer from the hard freezes as people do up north. In colder climates, pipes must be buried deeper in the ground to prevent them from freezing. That isn't a major issue here in the south.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:42 AM

43,285 posts, read 77,115,925 times
"A house needs a basement like a fish needs a bicycle."

No... I don't claim to have made that fish deal up.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:07 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
said.

I just did a quick MLS search, and came up with 1797 active Triangle home listings with basements.

Did ya see me waving to ya Mike!?!?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
I am still struggling with basements. In Maryland they are a must have and should be finished. That was a big deal with our selling a 3,200 sq ft house with unfinished basement. We know people who are having their basement finished just to sell the house. They know they will not get back as much as they are putting into having it finished. They need to do it just to sell. Now we buy in North Carolina and it is pretty much why do you need a basement. We have adjusted but I wonder if in 20 years the northerners relocating will have made basements standard. Doesn't surprise me that Cary has a lot of basements since we all know what the letters CARY stand for. If my kids can't sell the house because of no basement I will be crying as they drop us off at the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary