Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:47 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,298,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Threads like this always seem to illustrate that there's little to do in the area but eat or drink.
When we used to go to Florida to visit family, we always thought..."what a great place to visit but we sure wouldn't want to live there!".

As for Raleigh...maybe not a huge tourist destination but it sure is a great place to live!!!

As for places to go and things to see in the area, North Raleigh Guy gave a great list. After living here for 38 years, there are places on his list that I haven't ever been to!

And when you get bored with Raleigh, the beach and the mountains are just a few hours away!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 AM

43,449 posts, read 77,411,003 times
Tour the State Capitol.

I did it once in a small group. The doyen was animated and passionate about it and it was surprisingly enjoyable.
I would recommend it to anyone.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM

182 posts, read 387,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Nonsense. The OP asked about places in Raleigh. There are plenty of cool Raleigh options - no need to trek to Chapel Hill.

In Raleigh, places I take out of towners include (some depend on the weather):

Pullen Park
The Flea Market at the State Fair Grounds (Awesome on nice day)
The JC Raulston Arboretum
Escazu Chocolate
Have a cocktail in the wild turkey lounge of the Angus Barn and eat free cheese / crackers & olives
Drive Through or take a stroll through Oakwood / Moredecai / Five Pionts
Lunch outside at Logan's Trading Company (Plant Nursery Next to Train Tracks Downtown)
Coffee at Cafe Helios or Morning Times Downtown
First Friday Art Walk is next Friday - Take them to either Art Space by Moore Square or the Carter Building & The Pitch on Glenwood Avenue
Walk through the oakwood cemetary
Take a Raleigh Rickshaw up fayetteville street
Take a Triangle Segway Tour
Get Pizza at Lilly's Pizza in Five Points
Catch an Indy Movie & Have a Pint of Local Beer at The Rialto
Grab a Pint at the LoneRider Brewery
Grab a Pint and Food From a Food Truck at Big Boss Brewery
Raleigh Farmer's Market
BBQ at Clyde Coopers or The Pit
Breakfast at The Mecca
Slice of Pie at Pie Bird
Get a Milkshake at Person Street Pharmacy
Jazz Music most Thursday Nights at the Bar in Sullivan's Steakhouse on Glenwood
Check the schedule to see if their is any music upstairs at Marsh Woodwinds (BYOB)
Grab Coffee at Morre Square in Benelux Cafe
Have Pint at Boylan Bridge Brewpub and sit outside to view the Raleigh Skyline.

lotta pints there bro

it may be in that list but the city market is pretty cool. lots of shops and restaurants

Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,332,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Threads like this always seem to illustrate that there's little to do in the area but eat or drink.
Not really. There just the easiest things to rattle off when you don't know much about the person asking the question. Most people eat/drink so there is a good chance they might be interested in local spots to do it. Whenever I travel in the US or overseas and ask local what to see or do 3/4 of the recommendations are about places to eat and drink.

Haters gotta hate.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM

66 posts, read 125,202 times
Quote:
Not really. There just the easiest things to rattle off when you don't know much about the person asking the question. Most people eat/drink so there is a good chance they might be interested in local spots to do it. Whenever I travel in the US or overseas and ask local what to see or do 3/4 of the recommendations are about places to eat and drink.

Haters gotta hate.
Good point, North Raleigh Guy. Quite often locals are so busy with their day-to-day lives, they don't have time to think "like a tourist" or do touristy things. I lived 6 years in a town located on the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline, but I hardly ever got out to the beaches. Maybe we all need to take more time to slow down and smell the roses.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:29 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,298,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee View Post
Good point, North Raleigh Guy. Quite often locals are so busy with their day-to-day lives, they don't have time to think "like a tourist" or do touristy things. I lived 6 years in a town located on the beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline, but I hardly ever got out to the beaches. Maybe we all need to take more time to slow down and smell the roses.
Or...slow down and EAT THE CHOCOLATES! I went to visit Escazu today. It was YUMMY! Thanks, NRG!

Vicki

Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM

487 posts, read 892,412 times
Quote:

Haters gotta hate.
I thought it was 'haters gonna hate'?

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you, in any case. When I think of the previous places I've lived, I can rattle off non-food attractions. But when I think about here, I struggle. Not that there is nothing to do, but food/drink are the highlights. When I've hosted people here, the things they've most seemed to enjoy have been the food+drink, and the carolina tiger preserve (or whatever it's called now).

chwboy

Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Goodberrys IS a local chain. They have multiple locations in the area, but it is Raleigh based company!

My bad! I could have sworn I had seen them elsewhere. I stand corrected .

Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 AM

3,050 posts, read 5,002,036 times
Sunday mornings are the worst! (if you don't go to church)

Looking down NRG's list, I think I will give the flea market a try!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM

66 posts, read 125,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Or...slow down and EAT THE CHOCOLATES! I went to visit Escazu today. It was YUMMY! Thanks, NRG!

Vicki
For sure, VickiR.....I plan to put that on my "to do" list the next time I visit Raleigh. TweedleDee Chocoholic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary