Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:58 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times

Advertisements

Where exactly in Apex is this? I googled map it and nothing came up. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 05:36 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
It's right on the Apex/Holly Springs border - off Route 55 (the old one, not the bypass). Where "Around The World Market" used to be.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 AM

360 posts, read 995,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
It's right on the Apex/Holly Springs border - off Route 55 (the old one, not the bypass). Where "Around The World Market" used to be.
So Around the World Market is no longer? I didn't think I've seen anyone there lately. I am going to check out this Second Chance place, we used to have places like that back home that were run by the Amish, although you had to be careful there because a lot of times the stuff was expired, like mayo that expired over a year ago Hopefully this place does well, it's always good to have cheaper food options!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM

I had a chance to check this place out yesterday, and I want to say that if you do go here, be very careful when buying stuff. A lot of the expiration dates are more than a year old. I don't mind buying canned items that expired say a month ago, but a year is really pushing it. I bought a bag of chips that expired a couple months ago (I forgot to look at the date) and they were gross, they were oily and had an off taste. Also, I'd recommend checking the cereal bags to make sure they aren't popped. There are definitely some great deals to be had here, but it's not a good deal to buy stuff only to get it home and have to throw it out because it's no good. I guess they get away with selling expired stuff because technically it won't make you sick, but there's a reason for expiration dates, it's because after that date stuff loses it's flavor.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Geez yeah I would think if you get burned enough times on stuff like that you'd stopped shopping there. I'll be curious to see if it lasts.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:17 PM

23 posts, read 43,021 times
It looks like they're doing some advertising on Craigslist:

Save up to 50% on Groceries

Quote:
Nico's Second Chance Grocery 2112 East Williams Street Apex NC 27502 We're giving people a second chance to get perfectly good groceries at below wholesale prices. We will be offering deals on other household products also and periodically have sales on such things as shoes, electronics, tools, children's toys...etc... This will be when we get an opportunity to buy these products as overstocks and discontinued items from our distributors and sell them to our customers at a huge savings compared to any other store...

Our products will be the items that were taken from the retail grocer or manufacturer because of a dent or sometimes even simply a dent in only a few cans or boxes which will get the whole case sent to the wholesaler. Sometimes it's that the product is getting close to the suggested best sale date, which does not suggest that there is anything wrong with the product. This date is set by the manufacturer to which they are suggesting it to be sold by for the best taste, and quality, but by no means does it mean that the product is any lower in quality.

Also manufacturers change their labels or advertisement schemes in which they make changes in packaging, so in turn they pull the present products from the shelves, and it goes to the wholesalers and in turn to the shelves of the salvage grocery. Also discontinued, surplus and overstocked items are additionally added to the inventory.

We will simply be the areas lowest priced grocery outlet. We will make it possible to survive on a much lower grocery budget.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeNC View Post
It looks like they're doing some advertising on Craigslist:

Save up to 50% on Groceries
I think it's funny how in all their advertising they say that their products may be "getting close to the expiration date". Nowhere do they mention that a lot of their stuff expired more than a year ago I hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot by selling stuff that's no good, I'd like to see them stay in business.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
I'm not sure I would risk buying something a year out of date.

Groceries are already one of the lowest mark-up items out there for consumers.

You can shop @ Food Lion or Kroger and get some good deals w/o having to buy expired groceries.

I use to live in Holly Springs right down the road and I went to Food Lion a lot. Stuff was already pretty cheap, there.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:28 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
I must say that we've been really enjoyed the stuff I bought there and none of it was out of date. I"ll definitely go back and shop again!!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I must say that we've been really enjoyed the stuff I bought there and none of it was out of date. I"ll definitely go back and shop again!!
Really? What did you buy? The only thing I saw there that wasn't expired was the cereal. But there are some good deals, you just have to be cautious and not accidentally buy something that expired a long time ago (like a year ago). I didn't look at the dates on the dented cans, but they are probably still good, but the prices on most of them didn't seem all that great to me considering how cheap canned food is at the store. I'm going to go back and see if maybe they got in some newer stuff, maybe they did. One thing I don't understand about this place is why there are 3 people working there, when it seems like only one person is actually working. It doesn't seem like they are taking in enough profit to support 3 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary