Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 34,510 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move to Raleigh from Durham in the next few months..

With the whole "pick your school" program that the Wake Co. school board has in place now, what kind of a chance will I have in getting my kids into a "good" school?

We are looking at either Wakefield or Bedford, and that was so the kids could go to the Wakefield elementary/middle/high school - but if we dont get our applications in for a few months b/c of the sale of our house, will all of the spots be taken??

What other schools would be left as our only option??

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Wake County Public Schools

Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Go to the website.
Click on assignment resources on the left.
put the address of the house you are buying into the address lookup function.
see the schools available to that address.

If you want to know what's going on at a specific school, I recommend calling them directly.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
nobody knows, but given the prior occupancy at the Wakefield schools, I'd be surprised if there's any availability there.

However, there are many good schools in the system.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 34,510 times
I talked to my sister who is a teacher in the area and she recommended the Heritage schools - she says they're awesome..

but, that still doesnt mean that there will be room in either the Wakefield or Heritage elementary/middle schools...

I just hate the waiting game.

anyone want to buy a house near Southpoint mall???

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,542,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary B123 View Post
We are hoping to move to Raleigh from Durham in the next few months..

With the whole "pick your school" program that the Wake Co. school board has in place now, what kind of a chance will I have in getting my kids into a "good" school?
You ask a great question. I'm not sure there are any answers at this point. It used to be that you bought a house and you were generally assured of going to the school that the house address was assigned to. If the school had a capped enrollment, then you would get in if there was space in that grade or you would go on a wait list for that grade.

I am not sure anyone on this list has an answer for this because none of us have any experience in this new 'selection' system. I just did a brief glance at the 'newcomers' pages and I didn't see this question answered.

If you get any answers from calling WCPSS, post it here!

Meanwhile, note that both Heritage and Wakefield elementaries are on a year round calendar --- so although it does open up more spaces (a plus), it further complicates you by the possibility that the openings in your kids' grades might be in different tracks...you'll probably want your children on the same track to make your life easier. Just something to think about and ask.

The newcomer pages did mention that currently enrolled students get grandfathered in...so any possibility of getting your kids enrolled before year end (toward end of June)? That might help ensure your spot? another question to ask WCPSS!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM

906 posts, read 2,378,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
The newcomer pages did mention that currently enrolled students get grandfathered in...so any possibility of getting your kids enrolled before year end (toward end of June)? That might help ensure your spot? another question to ask WCPSS!
WCPSS isn't letting anybody enter the system and get grandfather anymore. At least I'm pretty sure. There were several families (lots of current 8th graders) who wanted to enter WCPSS from charter schools so they were assured a seat at their neighborhood high school. I think there was a deadline back in Jan to do so.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,191,857 times
I am very interested to see how all this plays out.

In the meantime, my opinion is that if you are in a desirable area, you will have a desirable school nearby. It may not be your first choice but hopefully, it will be close enough to your home.

And...as more parents get involved in the PTA, maybe you can turn a school around!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary