Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM

170 posts, read 345,786 times

Advertisements

Need great, straightforward surgery. Being quoted 8-12k per eye by a certain hospital. WTF? Not cosmetic. Have good health ins. But this seems way out of the ball park. Any good experience? Had Lasik in 2000 but was told it complicates in only slightly. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Dr. Dean Dornc is with the Caroline Eye Center off of the Cary Pkwy.

Dr. Dean Dornic - Home

Simply amazing. He did a great job on both my eyes about a year apart.

A live changing procedure. Real easy in and out on Hospital Day. He does probly 20 patients before lunch on surgery day at the outpatient at Rex.

And he is a really caring person.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Default cataract docs

Thanks for info. Will check into this. How long ago did you do this? :-)

Old 02-27-2012, 03:33 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingBackEast View Post
Thanks for info. Will check into this. How long ago did you do this? :-)
Within the last 12-24 months. You would think they would do them both at the same time but they will not.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM

270 posts, read 379,294 times
My Father had both of his eyes done, one at a time, last year with Dr. Gupta and we were very pleased with her. He recovered quickly from each one and has great vision now.

Dr Bobbie A Gupta MD | Cornea and Cataract Surgeon | Raleigh Ophthalmology

Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
I don't think the price is out of line. Mrs. BCR has had cataract surgery in both eyes -- once at Mass Eye & Ear, the other time at Duke Eye Center. I think the Mass Eye & Ear was closer to $20,000 in the mid-2000s, though there's ROP and other factors at play. I assume Duke was the same, we never saw a bill...

It's not an insignificant surgery even though outpatient, and of course it is your eyesight at stake. Personally she preferred ME&E to Duke, though again, with both of their reputations -- ME&E is affiliated with Mass General Hospital, a Harvard-affiliated teaching hospital and one of the world's best hospitals -- that's a bit like being disappointed in a Corvette after driving a Lamborghini....

Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
I had cataract surgery in my left eye last September. My surgeon is Dr. Patrick Laber, Raleigh Ophthalmology. I highly recommend him. The office staff at Raleigh Ophthalmology is wonderful as well.

He was very thorough, and I was pleasantly surprised when he personally called me at home the evening after having the surgery to see how I was feeling. I was seeing him the next morning (the day after the surgery) to have the patch removed, and he said he was excited for me. (My vision before surgery was approximately 20/800, and I now have 20/20 vision in my left eye.)

I still have 20/800 vision in my right eye, and the imbalance (medical term: anisometropia) is such a problem that I'm having my right eye done in three weeks. (I actually have a cataract in my right eye as well, but it's still pretty small.) He'll be doing the surgery for me again.

I jokingly told him that I love coming to see him, because he keeps talking about how young I am (I'm 49). His patients are usually much older, and for a cataract patient, I actually am young. He's good for my ego.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM

399 posts, read 700,164 times
Having Lasik can complicate getting the right power in the lens. My doctor had to exchange my lens because it was way off and I became very farsighted. I still need glasses for distance which I hope they can fix with PRK.

It is a very common surgery with almost no real risks in healthy adults.

Medical insurance should cover all the bill but your deductible as it is not elective surgery. I would get your Lasik records for your doctor if he/she is not the one who did the Lasik.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingBackEast View Post
Need great, straightforward surgery. Being quoted 8-12k per eye by a certain hospital. WTF? Not cosmetic. Have good health ins. But this seems way out of the ball park. Any good experience? Had Lasik in 2000 but was told it complicates in only slightly. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Did the hospital quote this as your cost after insurance coverage? I think my total bill may have been in that ballpark before insurance, but nowhere near that after insurance kicked in.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM

quote before insurance. I pay 20%. Which, even with their savings maybe down to 8k per eye if I'm lucky, it's still 1600 per eye. Highly reputable facility. But everyone tells me it's an absurd price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary