Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM

75 posts, read 172,829 times

Advertisements

For the schools, search "wake county school assignment" on web. You can input your address and see the school choices (will be a list of 5-7 schools). The school assignment is very different starting from this year - you will select schools and give them priority. It is upto town's discretion on which school to finally assign. So, you can't be 100% sure about getting Mills Park or HighCroft ES - if those schools are near capacity, there is an algorithm which decides whether they can accept - if not, you get the next choice.

I have heard that one of the parameters these algorithms use is the distance of your house from school - it will give preference to people living in 1.5 mile driving distance. That's the reason why lot of people at Weldon Ridge Arbor (where I live) got Green Hope ES even though Mills Park ES is closest. Weldon Ridge Arbor is 1.6+ miles from Mills Park ES! If you see the maps, Wrenhurst is building very close to Weldon Ridge Arbor.

But here in west cary - all schools are good - there might be minor differences if any... but you can't really rely on getting a particular school unless you live walking distance from it and all other starts align
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,224,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
If you're relocating to the area and not a local (as in never lived here, no family here, may transfer out of state in less than 10 years)? Pay VERY close attention to resales of houses in that price bracket. But, on how to determine a wise budget. That bracket doesn't move with the same speed that homes under 500k seem to move. Not an issue if you're retiring to the area, but may well be if you ever have to sell.
I completely agree with this post. 500-700k is alot of money to spend and I would not want to take a "loss" on the home when/if relocating.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,723 times
Texpete- was curious...did you buy in Wrenhurst? We plan to check that neighborhood out. We live in Cary but are looking for more space...and based upon description, the neighborhood does fill a void in the market....historically....you have to look at neighborhoods further out to get that land with a custom feel..plus, 3 car garages are harder to come by in Cary...curious to get your opinions and what you have learned... I don't know much about Baker homes...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,136,501 times
I have been a bit surprised lately that many of the homes in that price point are selling very well. However, they are new and I do agree that when it comes time to re-sell, they may not sell quite as quickly, especially if there are more new than re-sales.

To the newbies to the area...when it comes time to buy, remember that (in this area), the onsite agent works for the builder. She/he is there to get the best price for the builder. She/he does not have to inform you of current incentives or what they gave to the last buyer.

My advice is to go in and tell them (before you fill out their "survey') that you have a Buyer's Agent.

Make it easy on yourself, find a buyer's agent that knows the area and knows new construction.

DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE WHEN BUYING A NEW HOME!

Vicki

Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,068,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have been a bit surprised lately that many of the homes in that price point are selling very well. However, they are new and I do agree that when it comes time to re-sell, they may not sell quite as quickly, especially if there are more new than re-sales.

To the newbies to the area...when it comes time to buy, remember that (in this area), the onsite agent works for the builder. She/he is there to get the best price for the builder. She/he does not have to inform you of current incentives or what they gave to the last buyer.

My advice is to go in and tell them (before you fill out their "survey') that you have a Buyer's Agent.

Make it easy on yourself, find a buyer's agent that knows the area and knows new construction.

DO NOT PAY FULL PRICE WHEN BUYING A NEW HOME!

Vicki

Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary