Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

144 posts, read 468,804 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of installing a tow hitch on my car.
I called the dealer and was quoted $900 in total. That's just too much.

Are there cheaper ways to do it, like ordering the parts online on my own and find a local mechanic to install it? I am not very mechanically inclined so I probably can't do it myself.

Anyone had similar experience? Any local place you guys can recommend?

btw, my car is 2008 FX35.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Uhaul on Capital does this work.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM

119 posts, read 394,196 times
Yeah Uhaul charged us about $400 total for the hitch, ball, and wiring package.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Uhaul on Capital does this work.

I've used them too, but it was about six years. Good job, reasonable pricing at the time.

Frank

Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Something that I discovered when I priced this. . . . . You probably have LED tail lights on your car. If so, they will need to run a wire from your battery all the way back to the trailer. The lower amperage for LED taillights won't be sufficient to power the trailer lights. That doubles the price of the job.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM

263 posts, read 572,524 times
Don't rule out online ordering just yet. I ordered a trailer hitch from etrailer. You just look up the make/model of your car, and they tell you which hitch you need. It comes with instructions on how to install it. Mine was VERY simple. I think it was 4 bolts to undo, hold the hitch in place, and put the 4 bolts back in. About an hour. They also sell electrical wiring kits. It's MUCH cheaper than the price you gave. Good luck.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM

144 posts, read 468,804 times
Thanks, guys.

I checked with Uhual and their price is better.

They want $500.

I will check etrailer and installation instructions to see if it is possible for me to do it myself, I doubt it though.

Thanks, again!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:21 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
My husband, who admittedly is very handy, ordered the trailer hitch online and put them in himself. Even if you cannot do it yourself, look on eBay and see what it is you need and the price. Then call around and ask someone the cost to put it on for you. Many times it is cheaper if you buy the parts and bring it to the mechanic. My husband does it all the time.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
If it's not too late, I'd strongly (!) recommend that you give Raleigh Hitch on Capitol Blvd a call. I asked the same question, and that was the advice I got. I checked a lot of reviews of Uhaul and they were kind of shakey.

The guys at Raleigh Hitch are a local business, they depend on their reputation, and hitches is ALL THEY DO. They know their stuff inside and out. While they may be a few bucks more than U-haul, they are competitive, and I do believe (in this case) that you can justify any extra cost because of them knowing their business inside and out. You will deal with the owner, and he has a vested interest.

I've done two installations there. They quoted a price, honored it, scheduled me and got me in and out in the allotted time. Answered my questions, discussed any options, and I have not had the first problem with either hitch.

Give them a call and check them out if it's not too late. (Especially if you have such a nice car, go to the people that specialize and know exactly what they are doing, they may have to drill, and that is not a good time for a training run.... )

My $0.02

Old 03-01-2012, 08:05 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
I do mine at home, but Uhaul or Raleigh Hitch are both good options. Call and get quotes from both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary