Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,127 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We live in Boston and will soon have to move to NC as our jobs are being shifted to RTP...
I went through many forums and have realized that Cary comes most recommended in terms of basic needs like good schools, safety, family feel neighborhoods and generally close to RTP and as a good area to live... coming from boston we are used to crowd and fast paced life so we dont mind that...My question is which area/district in Cary is good, school district being the first criteria, .. Any suggestions will help us begin the search...Many thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
If you've been reading around, then you'll know there is no school district, we are on county schools down here. I suggest you search "Wake County Schools" because there are threads ad nauseum here and it's a process to learn the system here - not a quick "where is best" thing!

Cary is not fast paced. We have a lot of friends from the Boston area and they all love it here.

Good luck with your move!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 AM

57 posts, read 132,907 times
Basically all Cary schools are good. Better test scores are seen on the west side of Cary as you get closer to the RTP. Top Elementary schools are Carpenter, Green Hope, Mills Park, Highcroft, and many others. YOu can't really go wrong with any of them. Also consider Morrisville right next door, schools Alston, Morrisville Elementary, and a few others that are slipping my mind.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,285 times
If you can afford to send your kids to a private school I would opt for that. Don't know where you are coming from, but if it is the Western Suburbs like Sherborn/Dover, Medfield, Wellesley, you will find the public schools in NC a far cry from the MA public schools in the 'burbs.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,865,906 times
While Cary is fine, a nice place, there are many other options here. Cary borders Morrisville and Raleigh. I think Morrisville is a great option as another poster suggested and it's a bit closer to RTP. Raleigh is also close to RTP and has even more amenities than Cary, it being the capitol. if you looked at North Raleigh near I-540 (loop) you could be near Falls Lake, close enough to downtown Raleigh for shows/concerts, etc. and the airport would be a short commute.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM

182 posts, read 386,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
If you can afford to send your kids to a private school I would opt for that. Don't know where you are coming from, but if it is the Western Suburbs like Sherborn/Dover, Medfield, Wellesley, you will find the public schools in NC a far cry from the MA public schools in the 'burbs.

wow. they must be good.

my kids went to Apex High and started at one of the top 5 public universities in the country with a year of college credit, based on uniform, national AP exams. in other words they started college as sophmores, and at the most competitive public university in the state, which is also ranked as one of the most competetive in the country. and this is common for every high school in Wake Co.

this was based on the uniform AP tests that every kid from every state takes, which tests for knowledge of college level courses

how does that compare to the Boston schools that a a far cry better?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 AM

182 posts, read 386,238 times
I've always found it remarkable that NC allegedly has weak public schools, but then UNC is alwasy ranked alongside Michigan, UVA and Cal as the top public universities in the country. 80%+ of Carolina students come from NC. and frankly the kids that go to State have to be just as smart or smarter to get through engineering.

must go through some magic transformation between HS and college

and there are no public universities in the Northeast regarded anywhere close to UNC or UVA, and there are millions more people in the big metro areas, obviously all of which can't be sending their kids to the Ivy League

Old 02-25-2012, 09:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
I've always found it remarkable that NC allegedly has weak public schools, but then UNC is alwasy ranked alongside Michigan, UVA and Cal as the top public universities in the country. 80%+ of Carolina students come from NC. and frankly the kids that go to State have to be just as smart or smarter to get through engineering.

and there are no public universities in the Northeast regarded anywhere close to UNC or UVA, and there are millions more people in the big metro areas, obviously all of which can't be sending their kids to the Ivy League
Ever date someone, break up for some sad reason like one of you had to move away, then compare your new girlfriend/boyfriend to the one you lost?

Yeah. It's like that.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
OP?
Come down and visit. I live in Cary. I love it here. I've lived in Raleigh. Loved it there. I'm a native. Believe me, you cannot figure this out via City Data. You'll know which city/town near RTP suits your family best only by visiting and seeing for yourself.

As far as learning about Cary? We've got enough threads here about Cary to keep you reading for months.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post

Yeah, and they have to quota the kids from Wake County....wonder why???

I moved here from one of the top districts in NY, where it's always touted, "we are the best schools in the WHOLE COUNTRY!!!" Let me tell you my kids are a whole lot more stressed out by the work here in NC than they were in NY. And I can't even compare the one-on-one interaction that we get here, even with the dreaded larger class sizes. As someone on the LI board once said, smaller class sizes benefit the unions up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary