Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,679 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and our children) are looking to re-locate to the Triangle Area. We have been searching and applying for jobs for some time now. I am wondering if anyone in the healthcare field can tell me if the industry is doing well there or if the market is really tight now. Also, is the fact that we are out-of state applicants hurting our chances with potential employers?

I just wanted to get some feedback from people in the area now. Thank you for your help and perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,936 times
"Healthcare" is quite a broad term. Could you be more specific?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
My wife was just interviewing for a job in the healthcare field and she was told that even though she didn't have the experience they were looking for, she was at the top of their list of candidates because she was local. In fact, they didn't even expect to interview any of the other candidates after interviewing my wife.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM

84 posts, read 253,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My wife was just interviewing for a job in the healthcare field and she was told that even though she didn't have the experience they were looking for, she was at the top of their list of candidates because she was local. In fact, they didn't even expect to interview any of the other candidates after interviewing my wife.
I think that is really true. I applied sporadically to jobs in the Triangle before we moved here and had no luck even getting a call back. After we moved, I updated my Linked In and Monster accounts with my new address and I've gotten all sorts of calls. My resume otherwise hasn't changed!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Don't move here without a job, but it's hard to get a job without moving here. Good Luck!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,339,679 times
Thank you for your responses. I am a social worker, my husband is a research coordinator. I thought being out of state was putting us a disadvantage but I was not certain. With kids, I would not consider moving without a job.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Thank you for your responses. I am a social worker, my husband is a research coordinator. I thought being out of state was putting us a disadvantage but I was not certain. With kids, I would not consider moving without a job.
I'm not sure either of those two would fall under what people usually mean by "health care jobs", which tends to suggest doctors and nurses. We have the UNC School of Public Health in Chapel Hill which is very well-known and pumps out a lot of new grads all the time. There are perpetually social worker jobs with the state of NC if you go to the state personnel website. "research coordinator" is very broad so you'd probably have to search specifically on his exact industry to get an idea of the job market.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Lots of social workers work in hospitals, nursing homes, children's medical services, VA centers, and I would think there would be alot of opportunities in the Triangle for that.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 AM

699 posts, read 1,706,030 times
The reason you may be having trouble finding a job is that it can be a big bunch of trouble hiring someone who is not local.

Several years ago, I worked for an agency that interviewed and offered a job to three different people who were not from around there. Interviews had to be rescheduled because of availability and travel arrangements. One time, a flight was cancelled due to bad weather and a group interview involving several managers had to be rescheduled at the last minute.

The first one backed out literally the first day of the job. His wife didn't want to move to northern MN. The second one left within a year. Decided they missed their family and friends, so moved back to the area they came from. The third one complained about everything from the weather to the fact that his spouse couldn't find employment and how they were still paying the mortgage on a home they'd been unable to sell. He was actively searching for another job when I left.

Not sure how you get around this. Applicants always say they are available for an interview any time and travel would not be a problem and that they very much want to move to Timbuktu for whatever reason. Anyone who has been hiring for awhile takes this with a grain of salt.

Quitting jobs and moving down here is a huge risk, even if you have money in the bank to tide you over. Many employers will not even consider someone who is not currently working.

This question has come up several times on this forum. Not sure if we've ever come up with a good answer. Perhaps someone who has made this transition successfully could outline their strategy.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
Absolutely agree with Pat.
About two years ago, I applied for the exact same job there that I was doing here in AZ for the state. It was in Durham. It was specialized, and I had all the requirements plus many years of experience doing it. I got a phone interview with NC dept of human services and very much wanted to leave here and go there. Although the phone interview went SO well, I never heard another word from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary