Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann4567 View Post
I'm new at this lawn thing. My yard is nothing but weeds and used to be bermuda. The bermuda seems to be looming under the weeds. As far as the weeds go, take your pick. Where do I start? Should I wait until the fall for weed killer or do it now?
I would spend some time and try and pull as much of the bigger ones as you can by hand. Then you could get the rest with something like Weed B Gone. They have that one that fits right onto the end of your hose and you can just spray the whole yard.

When the Bermuda wakes up it will fill in the gaps left by the weeds and also make it harder for new weeds to grow. A poster above mentioned the "Bermuda Bible" that has lots of really good info also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Tru Green/Chem Lawn treated today and applied Pre Emergent, Weed Control and Fertilizer. This was the second treatment of the year and the first treatment included Crab Grass control. This was for Bermuda grass.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM

Weed B Gone FOR SOUTHERN LAWNS also stifles the growth of Bermuda grass and should not be used when seeding. Once you have started losing your lawn it can be very difficult to bring it back as weeds love heat and sun even more than Bermuda. Weeds are not going to roll over and play dead for you. Especially crab grass. Once the cycle begins it can be a challenge that requires consistancy and multiple applications. It is much easier to start new during the Fall and do prevention of noxious growth. I have learned that and am now happy to have turned it over to Tru Green. I have a neighbor who turned his over to Eastern Turf I believe and his lawn like mine is weed free and starting to green up, I have another neighbor who had a beautiful Bermuda lawn and still does but he has weeds this year like not before. He uses multiple scotts treatments but not during the winter and I can see the difference.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:25 PM

They applied today:

N & K frtilizer, Prodamine, 2,4-d, Fluroxypxr and Dicamba. Hope it doesn't bring Rodan back:

Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Weed B Gone FOR SOUTHERN LAWNS also stifles the growth of Bermuda grass and should not be used when seeding. Once you have started losing your lawn it can be very difficult to bring it back as weeds love heat and sun even more than Bermuda. Weeds are not going to roll over and play dead for you. Especially crab grass. Once the cycle begins it can be a challenge that requires consistancy and multiple applications. It is much easier to start new during the Fall and do prevention of noxious growth. I have learned that and am now happy to have turned it over to Tru Green. I have a neighbor who turned his over to Eastern Turf I believe and his lawn like mine is weed free and starting to green up, I have another neighbor who had a beautiful Bermuda lawn and still does but he has weeds this year like not before. He uses multiple scotts treatments but not during the winter and I can see the difference.
Right - you would not want to apply any post-emergent (or pre for that matter) when seeding.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
OK folks - it's time once again to get down that crabgass pre-emergent (e.g Scotts Fertilizer + Halts). I picked mine up today and will get it down this weekend.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM

65 posts, read 133,486 times
For cool season grasses (e.g. Fescue), the dates I was taught to remember are Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Valentine's. At Labor Day I typically apply a starter fertilizer to go along with my overseeding, at Thanksgiving I apply a winterizer, and at Valentines Day I apply a general fertilizer with a pre-emergent. Other than that I apply 40lbs lime/1000 sf at Labor Day and spot spray for weeds when I mow. In total I spend ~$100/year treating my yard, which is among the best looking in my neighborhood. Used a service many years ago but concluded much of what they do is unnecessary overkill. No need to harm the environment with chemicals or spend any more than necessary.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
OK folks - it's time once again to get down that crabgass pre-emergent (e.g Scotts Fertilizer + Halts). I picked mine up today and will get it down this weekend.
That's true for cool season grass like Fescue. Here's a note about when to put it down for Bermuda (assuming you are not planning to put out seed)

Bermuda Bible - aroundtheyard.com
"Depending on your location apply pre-emergence herbicides to control crabgrass, goose grass, foxtail, warm season annuals, etc when you see Bradford Pear, Dogwood, or Forsythia blooming. Repeat 8 weeks later in between fertilizer applications as to extend protection through summer months. First application is done before first mowing if timed properly because the Bermuda will still be dormant. Weed-n-Feed products are not recommended because the fertilizer contained in these products will only stimulate what weeds exist, and the Bermuda cannot use it at this time. "

Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
That's true for cool season grass like Fescue. Here's a note about when to put it down for Bermuda (assuming you are not planning to put out seed)
I'm no expert, but I have to wonder why it would matter what type of lawn one has. Does crabgrass emerge at a different time in one type of lawn vs. another?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 14,938 times
Default Where to buy StoneWall (prodiamine)

I just picked up some Lesco 0-0-7 pre-emergent today, but I cannot find Stonewall. The John Deere LAndscape stores are all open 8-4pm (not very helpful). I don't mind a lunch-time run, but has anyone had luck finding Stonewall elsewhere?

Thanks

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary