Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in Downtown Durham on Saturday and want to find a place to go have lunch with my wife. Want to stay downtown and just want some good wraps/sandwiches or soup and salad. Something with a nice atmosphere would be a plus. I love Toast but we have already been there and want to try something new. Was thinking of going to Mad Hatters but hear that it can be very busy on weekends with seating tough to find. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
You could try Scratch. limited seating, but if you time it right, you could get a spot.
Also DaisyCakes has a nice cafe menu.

not a fan of Mad Hatter.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:54 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,817 times
I second the recs for DaisyCakes or Scratch. Beyu Caffe would also be an option if you haven't tried it yet.

I like Mad Hatter just fine, but it does get crowded on Saturday. If you're going to be right downtown, the other places are closer anyway.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,911 times
What about Old Havana Sandwich Shop, Parker & Otis, or Rue Cler? I agree with dcgirl about not being a fan of Mad Hatters. It might be popular with college kids, but I have no idea why people go there.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:07 PM

533 posts, read 1,199,045 times
+1 on DaisyCakes and Beyu, I'll also add Geer Street Garden to the list.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
What about Old Havana Sandwich Shop, Parker & Otis, or Rue Cler? I agree with dcgirl about not being a fan of Mad Hatters. It might be popular with college kids, but I have no idea why people go there.
Agree with all of this. You can park in the lot across the street from Old Havana on weekends. On weekdays it's a pain in the butt to find parking for that place which makes me sad. Best Cuban I've had in the area.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
+1 on DaisyCakes and Beyu, I'll also add Geer Street Garden to the list.

Geer Street has got to have the most disappointing menu that I've seen in a while. Magowan did great things when he was at The Fed, but I've yet to be impressed by a single menu item at Geer Street.

Specials have been increasing in frequency and diversity there, but it's still just not there yet. Maybe I'm trying to hold them to too high a standard based on what was at The Fed, but I've stopped recommending Geer Street to folks.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Geer Street has got to have the most disappointing menu that I've seen in a while. Magowan did great things when he was at The Fed, but I've yet to be impressed by a single menu item at Geer Street.

Specials have been increasing in frequency and diversity there, but it's still just not there yet. Maybe I'm trying to hold them to too high a standard based on what was at The Fed, but I've stopped recommending Geer Street to folks.
Have to agree. Very disappointed, especially considering the high bar he set with the Fed and Piedmont.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Have to agree. Very disappointed, especially considering the high bar he set with the Fed and Piedmont.
So I've only been to The Fed for lunch but I honestly did not see what the big deal was about. The food was in the okay to goodish range but nothing blew me or my husband away. And nothing made us want to come back. It's just a standard funky little joint w/ beer. I fully admit I'm picky since these sort of places were on every street corner in Portland.

I also would put Mad Hatter in the same category. I kind of feel like both The Fed and Mad Hatter are coasting on hype and in other cities that had more competition they would have a much tougher time to make a go at it.

I really enjoy Scratch and find they try to offer some unique items, like pickled okra on the side. The menu is seasonal and changes daily and is on the small side. Get there early as many lunch items do sell out. And save room for pie!! Or at least a yoda cookie... yum.

I also like Parker and Otis. I think one of the things I like about them is that most places that put bacon on sandwiches use cheap bacon (too salty too greasy over cooked etc) but their bacon is great and it does add real favor to their sandwiches. Their stuff is a little more basic than Mad Hatter or The Fed, but I think their execution is much better at what they do. I love their mango chutney on Turkey. Yum. AND they have a FABULOUS chocolate selection. I guess I'm biased since they carry my 2 favorite chocolate companies from the PNW (Moonstruck and Frans). But I don't think they have on tap beer. ??? The Fed did seem to have a good tap selection, but I'm not a beer person.

Guglhupf while not downtown is a good spot for sandwiches, soups, & salads.

Keep in mind the Carolina Duke game is sometime this weekend. Not sure on the specifics, but this might effect traffic and the restaurant crowd.

Where ever you pick, hope y'all have fun.

Last edited by PDXmom; 03-02-2012 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: effect not affect!!! ;)

Old 03-02-2012, 03:22 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Yeah the game is tomorrow so just avoid anything around Duke haha. Only thing I've seen suggested that would really be affected is Mad Hatter.

I also just thought of Broad Street Cafe. I absolutely love their little pizzas but their sandwiches and salads are also tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary