Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 AM

481 posts, read 1,084,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thElement View Post
I lived in north Jersey for almost 20 years before my company transferred me here 6 years ago. When I lived in Jersey City I was just one hop by PATH from WTC. Nevertheless, while I still think NYC is the coolest city in the whole world I would never go back to live there again for many reasons (Well, maybe if I won a lottery and could afford a posh neighborhood in the suburbs). Some things are cheaper here or over there and you can always find acceptable substitutes, such as typical NY food items or fancy clothing. Or you can acquire a new taste to appreciate what this area can offer. The weather in the summer can be as torturous as in NYC although if you ever stood on a NY subway platform in August you can actually enjoy it here. The other two seasons here are fall and spring. There’s no winter here.
The bottom line the quality of life here is leaps and bounds above what the Tri State area can possibly offer for a working family. I haven’t met a single family from the Tri state area who’d live in the Triangle and then went back where they came from.
Good luck with your decision!

So true!! Same for this former NJ gal ..moved 7 years ago and can imagine going back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 AM

167 posts, read 333,298 times
So good to hear. I'm relocating in 3 days from SE PA (Paoli) to NC and am really looking forward to the move! The only things I'll miss are my vet (who has worked through so many of my dog's health issues over the years), my masseuse and KOP mall. :-)

Old 04-03-2012, 07:57 AM

167 posts, read 333,298 times
I've been here about a week and shopped at Food Lion and Harris Teeter. Food is more expensive than in PA/NJ and the selection isn't as good. I sure do miss Wegmans. Guess I'll have to try Whole Foods in North Raleigh.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 AM

146 posts, read 331,795 times
I moved from New York Three weeks ago. The family is loving it.
I will admit that I've put in 11 months of continuous research on Raleigh, thanks to websites like this, it's been so helpful in getting is accustomed.

If you have children in school then no website is better than great schools
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
basiclly, just use the search on the top right.

I also lived in Atlanta for a long time and the summer here isn't as bad as
Atlanta. But since it's not summer yet, I can't tell you. But 16 years in Altanta, only a desert could be hotter/dryer and more humid than an Atlanta summer.

Gas prices are better down here than up north. My father (who's still in NY) tells me that Gas is about $4.07 a gallon for regular.

The grocery stores are ok. My wife was so happy to see a Kroger as she
loves Kroger. We have also tried Harris Teeter (which isn't bad).

Hope that helps.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 PM

52 posts, read 89,724 times
Default Move to Raleigh

This is such and emotional subject...we own a home in Wake Forest yet keep our toes in the Long Island sound. It is very hard to cut the cord and let go of the place you spent your whole life in.

Today we took a ride out to the Hamptons, it is sooo beautiful in the spring. All those wonderful little towns, ( we just havn't been able to find any in NC yet)

However, I am retired and my husband is tired, we will have to say goodbye to our friends and family soon and do the right thing financially.

I don't want to change anyone or anything in Wake Forest, how dare we? One of the things I like so much is it reminds me of how Long Island was when we first moved there as children in the 1950's green, lush, clean, beautiful trees.. But for everyone, no matter where you are coming from

"There is no place like home". I will work very hard joining and meeting and getting involved to help the transition work.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 7,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101159 View Post
We have two italian restaurants in town and the owners are from Garden City, NY and Valley Stream, NY - so your fix of NJ/NY pizza should be covered anywhere down here, lots of posts about terrific food from everywhere locally. Enjoy and good luck!
Can you tell me the name of these places? I am moving from LI to Raleigh and would love to know! Thanks!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,069,777 times
Re Wegmans, join the club. I've missed it for 18 years. Shopping at Wegmans was fun. Here, a chore.

Re not changing Wake Forest -- that makes me laugh. Believe me, it has changed, dramatically. South Main Street, off Capital Boulevard, bears absolutely positively no resemblance to the little town I fell in love with years ago. It's all brand new and is beginning to look simply like an extension of Capital Boulevard. Nothing charming about it.

I'm not complaining -- just stating a fact. I know all the people who sold their properties probably did very well, and all the businesses are definitely needed by all the residents.

But I do miss the old Wake Forest.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM

16 posts, read 32,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I have a 2008 Corolla and pay about $120/year.
and that's on top of the registration?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takealready View Post
I moved from New York Three weeks ago. The family is loving it.
I will admit that I've put in 11 months of continuous research on Raleigh, thanks to websites like this, it's been so helpful in getting is accustomed.

If you have children in school then no website is better than great schools
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community
basiclly, just use the search on the top right.

I also lived in Atlanta for a long time and the summer here isn't as bad as
Atlanta. But since it's not summer yet, I can't tell you. But 16 years in Altanta, only a desert could be hotter/dryer and more humid than an Atlanta summer.

Gas prices are better down here than up north. My father (who's still in NY) tells me that Gas is about $4.07 a gallon for regular.

The grocery stores are ok. My wife was so happy to see a Kroger as she
loves Kroger. We have also tried Harris Teeter (which isn't bad).

Hope that helps.

yes, that absolutely helps!
thank you.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeden View Post
it reminds me of how Long Island was when we first moved there as children in the 1950's green, lush, clean, beautiful trees.. But for everyone, no matter where you are coming from

you just made me want to take my wife and daughter to the Hamptons right now

but again, that's life... every choosing implicates a renouncing, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary