Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times

Advertisements

Threads like this remind me of Colorado Springs where they had a choice of raising property taxes by $200 to keep parks, streetlights, firefighters, police officers, etc. They voted the tax raise down and then had to pay out of pocket for these services. Just to turn on a single streetlight in your neighborhood was $125 out of pocket. Getting trash cans installed in your neighborhood park (but not trash pickup for said cans) was $2400 for a small park I hope Raleigh never reaches a point where we have to decide between a $200 tax raise and streetlights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I hope Raleigh never reaches a point where we have to decide between a $200 tax raise and streetlights.
I do. Isn't every government expenditure a choice between competing demands for limited resources? I really hope our elected leaders look carefully and critically at every single spending decision they make, and the resulting revenue/tax implications of those decisions.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Personally I'd rather the community as a whole pay a smaller amount for services so the burden does not fall more heavily on individuals such as what was seen in Colorado Springs.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 49,150 times
- usually when a local goverment want to increase taxes, they threaten of closing the most important services they are supposed to provide like firefighting and school buses while there are many other options to cut. There are lots of waste in how goverments operate and I have a friend who works for the accounting department in our state and you could only imagine :-). You would not be able to waste that money even if you want.

- I checked on NC business tax and found out that you have to declare your office supplies and file cabinets, ... as business personal property. (are you kidding me?!). Assume I am Bank of America but I doubt that BOA will maintain presence in NC if they have to do that.

- My assessment:
- property tax is not bad, it is lower than many other states.
- Personal and busniess property tax is too much to bear. (BS!)
- income tax is higher than many other states and actually comparable to NY.
- Sales tax is 6.75 which is what most states have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary