Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM

17 posts, read 24,921 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are relocating soon for jobs at UNC. We have looked extensively at homes in various parts of the Triangle (CH/Carrboro, CH/Chatham, NW Cary, SW Durham) and are seeking advice on great neighborhoods in the CH area. I think we are leaning towards Chapel Hill at the moment due to short commutes and great schools. The WCPSS school choice situation and year round schedule is a little overwhelming for newcomers! We really like N. Chatham homes and the schools in Chatham seem to be improving, but they don't seem as appealing as the CH/Carrboro district. Woods Charter has a crazy wait list and applicant pool, and there don't seem to be many other close options for private in Chapel Hill. Anyone know anything about St. Thomas More?
We have a toddler who will not start school for a few years, but are looking for a neighborhood with private lots (1/3 acre+) with trees, lots of families, and great schools. Community recreation and/or activities would be a nice bonus. Our price range is flexible, though we would like to stay below $625K. We prefer newer construction. We would also be open to building, if anyone knows of places where lots are still available. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Why would you buy in Chapel Hill and send your children to a private school?

Newer houses, 1/3+ acre, and <$625K is a difficult combination in Chapel Hill. Pick two.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM

17 posts, read 24,921 times
We don't plan to buy in Chapel Hill and send our children to private! We would buy in Chapel Hill specifically to send our children to public. I think we may need to consider private if we bought in N. Chatham (CH address), which is why I asked about St. Thomas More or other privates that would be convenient to that area. Also, by newer construction, we would prefer something built after 1990. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehat View Post
We don't plan to buy in Chapel Hill and send our children to private! We would buy in Chapel Hill specifically to send our children to public. I think we may need to consider private if we bought in N. Chatham (CH address), which is why I asked about St. Thomas More or other privates that would be convenient to that area. Also, by newer construction, we would prefer something built after 1990. Thanks for the help.
Someone who thinks 20 years old is newer...brings a tear to my eye

One place to look is on the north end of town, up along Weaver Dairy. Chandlers Green has big lots and some homes in the 500-600K range.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Homes in 16 different subdivisons in the CH/Carrboro are either available or have sold in the last 90 days (about 1/2 sold and 1/2 available). Only 2 subdivisions have multiple homes on this list - Lake Hogan Farms and Forest Creek.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I would check into north CH as well. anything off homestead.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
Or go slightly further north and get the best of both worlds. You can get good schools and a great small town community. If you look also look between New Hope Rd and south toward Chapel Hill you may get to be in the CHCCS school district and meet your price range. If you want something walkable I'd look in Carrboro or Hillsborough. Both offer great small town, walkable community amenitites.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Homes in 16 different subdivisons in the CH/Carrboro are either available or have sold in the last 90 days (about 1/2 sold and 1/2 available). Only 2 subdivisions have multiple homes on this list - Lake Hogan Farms and Forest Creek.
I noticed that there are 4 or 5 homes for sale in Larkspur.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
yes, but 3 of the 4 are above the stated range, and they also don't have 1/3 acre lots.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM

If you do consider developments along Homestead Road toward northern Carrboro, be sure you are aware of development proposals that are likely to affect that stretch of road in coming years.

There is one active proposal that has an opposition group formed by residents long Homestead Road:

Beat The Retreat

Frankly, in my personal view, further development along Homestead is inevitable (even if it's not that particular project).

You should also familiarize yourself with Carolina North.

Of course, a good local real estate agent can help you with these issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary