Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:05 AM

47 posts, read 81,633 times

Advertisements

NewUser, that comment about the four-wheelin' Graco had me in stitches!

This is great to hear from everyone. We just went to Pullen yesterday and really liked it. My next quest is Kids Together, but that won't be until next week sometime.

You know, Bmateo, I'll probably go to at least one a week when we get more familiar. I think parks will have a bearing on where we'll wind up living, too. The closer, the better.

Oh, and jelenap mentioned the playground at Waverly Place with the fountains and fire. We love that one, too!

One thing that I can say is that the parks in the Triangle are far better than any other major city I've visited, especially for the very young. I think it really develops an early love for the community.

So many good suggestions and shared experiences in this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 04:02 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
We love Crowder Park. There are multiple playground areas, shaded picnic areas, nice walking trails, and a small lake with some wildlife-turtles, fish, and birds. Something for everyone. It never seems to get too crowded (maybe the name has something to do with it).

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
We love Crowder Park.
Wow, thanks for the tip! It's very close to us and I didn't even know about it. We'll check it out for sure.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 PM

Default Kids Together Playground is great, BUT...

We visited Kids Together today and enjoyed the playsets better than any other park. BUT, and this is a big but, it was so SMELLY. It smelled like sewage was off-gassing. Does anyone know about why this is? A parent there said it always smells like that, sometimes lessening depending upon wind direction. We certainly enjoyed the visit to the playground, but will not be returning as long as the air smells so awful.

Ah well, we'll try another park some other time.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 AM

73 posts, read 295,177 times
Of the ones your mention Pullen is my favorite.

Other suggestions:
Lake Wheeler - has a great playground, canoe rentals
Lake Wheeler Park - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

Yates Mill - doesn't have playground but is a perfect walk for a 2 year old
Yates Mill Associates (http://www.ncsu.edu/project/yates-mill/home.htm - broken link)

Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
I went along with my client and her 20 month old to Brier Creek Community Center Park. It is great for toddlers! After being there for about an hour, it began to get very crowded. It was great when all the kids that were there were 15 months to 2 years. However, a couple of 7 and 8 year olds wandered over and there were much too big for that playground. Still, I would recommend it for toddlers. It was fun!

Vicki

Old 03-09-2012, 07:39 PM

Lake Wheeler also has paddle boats! Well, they didn't have them when we were there, but they said they'll be available when the weather's consistently warmer. When we went, the playground was still under repair and I practically had to run past it and block the view with my body in his line of site to avoid a meltdown, but it was a fun walk along the shore. That playground's going to be great once they shore it up from the ground erosion.

On to the next...

Thanks to all these terrific suggestions, I'm starting to like the Triangle more and more!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
When our kids were young we went to MacDonald Woods a lot because it has this great spongy surface. One the kids hit potty training age we stopped, though, because there are no bathrooms there.

It's also worth mentioning the parks that have large wooden play structures that look like forts. I know of two: KidsTowne in Kelly Road Park in Apex and All Children's Playground in Laurel Hills in Raleigh.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Keep in mind that All Children's Playground in Raleigh has seen better days. I know there is a big push right now to raise funds to revamp the park as some of the equipment is now considered dangerous due to disrepair. Still a great playground but just be mindful of some of the equipment while there.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM

We really liked Bond Park, and were there at the Annual Kite Festival. I didn't know there was a lake shore with beach sand. Pretty neat. We really had a great time. Does anyone know why there is no wading or swimming allowed in the lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary