Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

This has been a hot topic in our house since we moved here at the beginning of the year. The drop off lane is ridiculous at West Lake Elementary and Middle school. Parents don't seem to realize that you pull out into the center lane when leaving to allow others to pull up and dropoff their kids. The only reason that I drive them in the morning is as others have said: they have too much homework at night which has them staying up later than I would like, the bus picks up too early in the morning and then they have to sit on the bus for 15-20 minutes in the morning. It's asinine. More potential for bullying, fighting, etc with being cooped up on the bus for so long. I actually have been shocked by the behaviors that I have heard about on the bus here. This behavior would never have been tolerated on the buses in the Seattle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
I really don't understand all this hub-bub about kids having to be up early. That's life a lot of the time.

Not that long ago, I went to high school in a farming community in north Florida. School started at 6:45am and was out by 1:30. You had to get to the farm to help out after lunch and all.

No one drove their kids to school. All the parents had a job that required them to be at work by then, so you were out at the bus stop at 6:00. My junior and senior years I rode my bike (in the dark, and yes, freezing weather several weeks a year) three miles each way. It really wasn't that hard, and I never once had a problem even on two-lane country highways.

On the plus side, if you didn't work on a farm, then you could get in a full 8-hour shift at an after-school job. I worked four school nights a week until 11pm, and was at school on time every day of the year.

My girlfriend had it much worse. She went to a magnet in South Florida, and to get there she had to take a 45 minute bus to her neighborhood school, then connect to an "express" bus to the magnet. In all, it took 90 minutes each way. The extra time meant she was riding with high schoolers in the morning and elementary kids in the afternoon. Her mom was busy working 3 jobs, so she didn't have the luxury of dropping kids off at school. Diner shift began at 5:30...

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 AM

430 posts, read 626,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm just amazed that it actually bothers people that someone would wait at the bus stop to get their kids off the bus. Wow. Sometimes it's nice to see other parents and talk about things that are going on in the neighborhood, the school and *gasp* the world.
Go back and read what StAndroid wrote again. We're not talking about parents standing on the corner talking. What I usually see, and what he described, is the kids standing on the corner while 5 or 6 cars with parents inside, their engines running, surround the corner from all approaches. I have a hard time getting by all this and I imagine it's worse for the bus driver.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I really don't understand all this hub-bub about kids having to be up early.
I really don't understand why some folks have such a problem with how other people's families choose to arrange their morning schedules based on their personal preferences and priorities.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
As far as driving to the bus stop, the only people I know who do that are the ones who then leave right from the bus stop and go to work - there are 4 or 5 at the stops near my house who do this. But I guess if you don't work, it saves you a trip back home when the bus doesn't show!
I'm just amazed that it actually bothers people that someone would wait at the bus stop to get their kids off the bus. Wow. Sometimes it's nice to see other parents and talk about things that are going on in the neighborhood, the school and *gasp* the world.
I mean, it doesn't bother me that much, I do kind of cringe at some of the helicopter parent-y stuff, but really it's no skin off my teeth, so I'll drop it.

However, you do bring something that does actually bother me and impact my life with the "4 or 5" cars who sit and wait at the bus stop thing. I'm sure there are people who do this with out issue, but in my neighborhood this creates a huge problem. 4 or 5 cars lined up on the side of the street at a corner where I (and most everyone exiting my neighborhood) needs to turn is really hard to get around safely, especially when there are kids milling about.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 AM

247 posts, read 452,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My son (1st grade) got on the wrong bus the other day. He was supposed to go to afterschool care, but got on the bus to go home instead. The bus driver let him off the bus at his stop even though there was no parent waiting for him. Both my wife and I were at work. The house was locked. Our child had no phone or key.
Oh man! This doesn't help my fear! I hope your son was okay while waiting for you guys though, hopefully it wasn't a too cold/wet day for him!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:26 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I really don't understand why some folks have such a problem with how other people's families choose to arrange their morning schedules based on their personal preferences and priorities.

I don't care. I just hate seeing a 7-page thread of kvetching about it on City-Data.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I mean, it doesn't bother me that much, I do kind of cringe at some of the helicopter parent-y stuff, but really it's no skin off my teeth, so I'll drop it.

However, you do bring something that does actually bother me and impact my life with the "4 or 5" cars who sit and wait at the bus stop thing. I'm sure there are people who do this with out issue, but in my neighborhood this creates a huge problem. 4 or 5 cars lined up on the side of the street at a corner where I (and most everyone exiting my neighborhood) needs to turn is really hard to get around safely, especially when there are kids milling about.
I can see that. Here the people wait on the main road so it's not an issue turning out of the side street.

I can hardly wait to see how this all shakes out if they change the bell schedules next year like they are proposing. I foresee a shaky bus set-up getting even worse. We may not even attempt the bus next year.

And Pixel Dent - this post I quoted here proves I read the first post correctly - StAndroid has a problem with helicopter parenting, and I believe that's what s/he was getting at in the first post. I have a neighbor that gets her kids off the bus because they have to cross at a curve in the road and there is no sidewalk. Young kids are not known for having any common sense even when they are in 5th grade (trust me) and just assume they can be seen from miles away. We also had a guy in our 'hood a few weeks ago trying to take pictures of kids and get them to come over to his car. Yes that really happens - crazy parents have not decided to make that stuff up. Call her a helicopter all you want, when it comes to certain things most parents are rather safe than sorry. I live across the street and go to the bus stop because I like to check in with my neighbors, all of whom have lived here way longer than me and usually have valuable tidbits about how things work in the schools, doctors to go to, etc etc. You get the picture. It's a lot easier to get this info at the bus stop than to start randomly calling people for info that you'd like to have. Bottom line is people who don't have kids or whose kids haven't reached a certain age tend to get very judgemental when they haven't really thought things through. Some people think you aren't protective enough and others think you hover no matter what you do. You can't please everyone else and some point you stop caring and parenting to the opinion of the masses.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Is it common for parents go to the bus stop with their kids if they are beyond Kindergarten and 1st grade years? I would have been so embarrassed back in my day if my parent(s) ever came to the bus stop!

I respect each parent's right to do what they want and understand times have changed and the bus scedules are a big factor in this case. It is still hard for me to get use to though. Back when I took the bus K through 11th grade the only time I ever got a ride to school with my parents was during my k-5th grade years on my birthday when I brought cupcakes to school!

One car ride to school a year!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Is it common for parents go to the bus stop with their kids if they are beyond Kindergarten and 1st grade years? I would have been so embarrassed back in my day if my parent(s) ever came to the bus stop!

I respect each parent's right to do what they want and understand times have changed and the bus scedules are a big factor in this case. It is still hard for me to get use to though. Back when I took the bus K through 11th grade the only time I ever got a ride to school with my parents was during my k-5th grade years on my birthday when I brought cupcakes to school!

One car ride to school a year!
When my kids rode the bus, the stop is exactly 3 houses up from my house, so I can sit on the porch or in the dining room and watch for them. That being said, the letters home telling you where your school bus is specifically ask parents to accompany their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary