Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,077,762 times

Advertisements

Mod Note: The following posts were originally part of the "Jason Young mistrial" thread. Since a new trial was held, I've broken them off into their own thread.

Anyone following the retrial? Any thoughts? The guy looks guilty as sin, all circumstantial evidence points to him.

Seems the Prosecution has more evidence this time around, Prosecution rested this past Friday, Defense is introducing evidence this week and should be done by Thursday.

WRAL is airing the court trial live daily. I will be watching and waiting for the verdict by weeks end.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-06-2012 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,230,475 times
I think he's guilty but one thing I find odd is that he had no scratches or marks on his body. I would expect there would have been a struggle, so that seems a litle odd to me.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 AM

9,129 posts, read 14,692,150 times
The prosecution does seem to be doing a better job this time. Personally, I think he is guilty, but they did not prove it to me beyond a reasonable doubt based on what they presented at the first trial. If I was on that jury I would have had to vote to aquit. This time, we'll see once the defense starts trying to poke holes in the state's case.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,873,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Anyone following the retrial? Any thoughts? The guy looks guilty as sin, all circumstantial evidence points to him.
I haven't followed the case closely - just read some of the press coverage - but it seems to me they have almost no evidence, direct or circumstantial. They have a theory and some conjecture, but not much else.

I may have missed something, but I haven't seen much reference to circumstantial evidence. I think there was some evidence of bloody footprints, but I haven't heard them tie those to Jason Young.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,152,005 times
I don't know if he did it or not. I wasn't there. Neither were any of you. But I do have my suspicions. But even though I think he is a likely suspect, there hasn't been enough evidence to lock him up. If he did do it, he did a terrific job of covering his tracks. All the prosecutors have are suspicions, they still lack great evidence. And from what I've seen and heard, the gas station attendant who claims she saw him, isn't the most credible witness. I'd be shocked if they came up with a "guilty" verdict in this case, there simply isn't any evidence. And the day we lock people away because we can't find the REAL killer, is a sad day.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM

892 posts, read 3,154,091 times
I think that sad day has come and already been long gone BigK.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,178,435 times
Brad Cooper was found guilty on circumstantial evidence wasn't he? What concrete evidence did they have to lock him up? A computer search? The vast inconsistencies in some being found guilty vs acquittals vs hung juries has me perplexed and distrustful of our "legal" system. I definitely feel he did do this to his wife and baby. I feel more strongly that Jason Young killed his wife and baby than Brad Cooper killed his.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,152,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
I think that sad day has come and already been long gone BigK.
Yes it has. And as tragic as these cases are, we have a judicial system in place that is supposed to serve a purpose. And that is to prove guilt. Millions of crimes go unsolved. And as bad as people feel for Michelle Young, her daughter, family etc, rushing to judgement because people "think" or "feel pretty sure" he did it, is not the way it should be handled. I feel pretty sure OJ killed Nicole, but he isn't going to serve time over it. And if the state can't come up with more evidence than making everyone believe that Michelle and Jason's marriage was on the rocks, then he shouldn't be in jail either.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,873,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Brad Cooper was found guilty on circumstantial evidence wasn't he? What concrete evidence did they have to lock him up?
I don't know about the Coooper case in particular, but "circumstantial" evidence can be quite concrete. I think people tend to assume that "circumstantial" means that the evidence is vague or iffy.

There are two kinds of evidence - direct (directly establishes that the crime was committed), or circumstantial (an inferrence is necessary to connect the evidence to the crime). "I saw the defendent enter the house just before the murder, and I saw him come out a short time later with blood all over his clothes" - is circumstantial evidence (so are footprints, fingerprints, etc.). "I saw the defendant shoot and kill the victim" is direct evidence.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:25 PM

5,805 posts, read 6,858,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Brad Cooper was found guilty on circumstantial evidence wasn't he? What concrete evidence did they have to lock him up? A computer search? The vast inconsistencies in some being found guilty vs acquittals vs hung juries has me perplexed and distrustful of our "legal" system. I definitely feel he did do this to his wife and baby. I feel more strongly that Jason Young killed his wife and baby than Brad Cooper killed his.
Both of these trials had too much emphasis on the defendant's reaction to being informed of his wife's death. To me, that is a no win situation. Not enough reaction and you are guilty. Too much reaction, you are acting and guilty. Everyone grieves differently - is there a "normal" reaction ?

I look forward to Cooper's appeal. I thought judge allowed and excluding things that should not / should have been submitted.

I fully support the DAs, but think sometimes they focus too much on winning a case, vs finding out the truth (which could be a guilty defendant - just prove it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary