Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,152 times

Advertisements

Have you considered looking in North Durham? Meaning north of Rt 85 & the Northgate mall area.

I believe there is one home for rent in our neighborhood (Lockhaven Hills) but not sure the price, sorry. There are several other nice neighborhoods off of N. Roxboro & Guess Rds.

My commute to downtown Durham for work is 6 miles & traffic usually is pretty good (barring the occassional morning fender bender/flat tire that requires everyone to stop & look ).

I feel perfectly safe in our neighborhood & this area. No sidewalks in the neighborhood, but we know to go slow because the kids are out. We also have a semi-active neighborhood watch/association & meet a couple times a year which is nice.

If you are worried about crime use the RAIDS website to check out any potential neighborhoods.
RAIDS Online - Crime mapping, email reports and tips for the public

Another one you may want to look at is the Sex Offenders list. Unfortunately you just can't be too careful now days.
North Carolina Offender Registry

Also, if visiting isn't an option before moving, see if you can do a short term rental (like 3 months) then you aren't locked into a year if you do decide you like another area better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 12:11 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
True on the commute. I'm struggling to think of a similar rental property with a similar density of educated people with young kids in Durham though. The closest I can come up with is Deerfield/The Forest, and the American Village area in general, but to be honest its been a long time since I've had friends living there and I don't know how many families with kids still rent in that area any more.
Good question. Some of the rental units/apartments at Woodcroft, maybe? American Village comes to mind, too. Think it is still popular for what you're describing but a bit disconnected on that.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM

25 posts, read 75,290 times
you in no way are strapped to durham just because you will be working at duke. chapell hill might work depending on where and even hillsborough. Or if you go north of durham it is nicer up there.

I highly advise against living in the city of durham. Some outskirts areas arent that bad but the city itself I won't even drive through because i feel so unsafe even being there.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate05 View Post
you in no way are strapped to durham just because you will be working at duke. chapell hill might work depending on where and even hillsborough. Or if you go north of durham it is nicer up there.

I highly advise against living in the city of durham. Some outskirts areas arent that bad but the city itself I won't even drive through because i feel so unsafe even being there.
I KNOW! I mean, like, just the other day this Acura TOTALLY cut me off in the Whole Foods parking lot near downtown! And I threw some gang signs at him like, "I'm gonna CUT you, bro!," and he just decided to throw down his arugula and pull out his smartphone to start sending me snarky text messages.

And then, this other time, I was at the Durham Performing Arts Center, see, and I got caught up in a mob! Well, it was a mob of senior citizens, out to see Wicked, and I made the mistake of trying to use the restroom during an intermission, but I felt totally unsafe. Like they were going to Polident me to the wall.

I mean, you run into all kinds of people on the Duke East Campus walking trail! Just... EXERCISING! How do I know they aren't packing a nine under their Under Armour?

And "Magnolia Grill" -- top ten restaurant in the US? PSHAW -- it's gotta be a drug front.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
haha Bull City Rising that sounds like a good starting point for a rap about Durham Don't forget to include a line about those pesky lemurs that sometimes escape and rampage in Duke Forest.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I KNOW! I mean, like, just the other day this Acura TOTALLY cut me off in the Whole Foods parking lot near downtown! And I threw some gang signs at him like, "I'm gonna CUT you, bro!," and he just decided to throw down his arugula and pull out his smartphone to start sending me snarky text messages.

And then, this other time, I was at the Durham Performing Arts Center, see, and I got caught up in a mob! Well, it was a mob of senior citizens, out to see Wicked, and I made the mistake of trying to use the restroom during an intermission, but I felt totally unsafe. Like they were going to Polident me to the wall.

I mean, you run into all kinds of people on the Duke East Campus walking trail! Just... EXERCISING! How do I know they aren't packing a nine under their Under Armour?

And "Magnolia Grill" -- top ten restaurant in the US? PSHAW -- it's gotta be a drug front.

Thanks for the laugh this morning!

I know what you mean.... I actually had a pedestrian jay walk in front of me this morning. Downtown is just soooo rough! Lord only knows how I'll survive lunch out on the patio area at Brightleaf?!?!

Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 12,530 times
Just wanted to say how much I really appreciate the help everyone's been giving me. Really thankful for it!

Quote:

Speaking of Polident...what percentage of citizens in the area carry a concealed dentures permit? I always feel a bit uneasy in cities where more than 60% of people are packing teeth. Will I need to carry a pair of incisors to feel safe there?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM

754 posts, read 1,692,698 times
Quote:

My response was deleted, but yours was much better anyway. Great job as always.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newplacesnewfaces View Post
Just wanted to say how much I really appreciate the help everyone's been giving me. Really thankful for it!

Speaking of Polident...what percentage of citizens in the area carry a concealed dentures permit? I always feel a bit uneasy in cities where more than 60% of people are packing teeth. Will I need to carry a pair of incisors to feel safe there?
Yer gonna do all right around here, long as you don't bite off more than you can chew. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary