Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 PM

23 posts, read 64,240 times

Advertisements

I have lived near these track just up by the Burlinton atrea near 54 we have a couple pasanger train that us these track Call armtrack they will let upp know the sch, You agent needs to know that to. I enjoy beeing near the tracks I have always been near and like to hear the whister. I love to ride the train if you move iover here check out ta day trip to Gbs from Cary! You willlove it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Like you said, everyone's sensitivity varies. Like plane noise near the airport, you gotta see for yourself.

The subway trains always squealed around the curve next to my aunt's window, which was open in the Summer (no A/C back then).

Nobody really had an issue with living there because of the trains.

Only bad thing was that train passengers could look in your window if you left the shades up.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
At my new house we are about a mile from the train tracks. We can hear the whistle a few times per day, but it's not a big deal. We don't mind it. Besides the noise, my biggest concern of being very close to the train tracks would be safety in case my dogs or my child happened to get out unsupervised one day by mistake. Where we are now, I am not worried about this, and we've already gotten used to the whistle noise.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:23 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
I believe my house is about a 1.5 miles from the train tracks as well and the first few weeks I was quite annoyed with the trains whistle. Now it doesnt bug me at all (apologies for the grammar error, my apostrophe key is broken at the moment)

Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Not only do I live near the airport, but there are train tracks maybe 1.5 miles from where I am. In the two years I have been here now, I think I have heard a train whistle maybe once, and I have only seen an actual freight train perhaps 2-3 times.

I know the real estate paperwork has to disclose the air noise/whatever, but I don't know about trains.

Neither seems to bother us.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:28 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
1.5 miles is pretty far away. I've lived within 1/4 mile of busy tracks most of the last 20 years. It could be pretty annoying.

I don't think you have to disclose this because with the tracks there it is considered obvious. You can see it in person, you can see it on a map, with your naked eye.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM

180 posts, read 662,355 times
Reminds me of living in Boston right on the T tracks..We lived on a bend and every day all day we could hear the squeaky T riding on by! I don't think after an entire year I got used to the noise!!! Oh city life...how I DO NOT MISS IT!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 AM

9 posts, read 13,969 times
I live near this track in Cary, and have lived here for the past 5 yrs. I thought I would get used to the train, but it's finally wearing thin on me and my wife. We have a toddler now, and there's a particular train operator who will hold the horn as he passes through the area. It's a freight train that comes through at 5:00am in the morning and we can hear the whistle for at least 20 minutes. I'm not sure why he feels the need to do this or why it takes the train that long to get through the area.

I really like my current house, but I don't like my day starting at 5:00am, especially on weekends.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
We looked at a home that backed railroad tracks in Cary when we moved down here. It is a big negative. We passed on it. Not worth having to bargain with someone at resale time. 1st rule of real estate (IMO) Location! Location! Location! Too many options available. I would keep looking.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It depends on the track usage, IMO.
We back to the Apex-Durham USX line along Davis Drive in Cary. Single track.
Basically, the track right-of-way functions as a 100 foot buffer behind our lot.
But, we get 10 trains a week, 2/day, Monday through Friday. 10 to 12 miles per hour.
Maybe once a year we get a weekend run.

It is nearly not a factor in our lives, period.
Compared to homes I show where you could hit the backs of 6 houses, and 100 windows, with a tossed horseshoe, I'll take the tracks.

As far as market goes for resale, I don't give it a thought. If I lose 10% of the market because they don't like the tracks, I'll live with it.

I would be much less eager to live 200 feet from a track where the trains come through 6-8 times daily, including 4 Amtraks at 50-60 MPH, with full horns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary