Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,556,937 times

Advertisements

101.1 FM Talk is still on the air but it's online streaming only. Shows are the same.

Triton Digital Live Player - WZTKFM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM

351 posts, read 630,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
....And, Ernest T., if that makes me a liberal, so be it. I own it and wallow in it.
So. I don't care.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM

107 posts, read 143,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
I greatly enjoy Brad and Britt and tuned into the AM station this afternoon to listen. The sound was terribly muffled, but I'll keep listening if they can maintain the same quality material. They were by far the most enjoyable morning talk show and will be difficult to replace.

And, Ernest T., if that makes me a liberal, so be it. I own it and wallow in it.
I don't care for their really negative and sometimes downright hateful tone.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM

600 posts, read 3,442,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
850 lost me as a listener when they dumped Imus this week.
Yeah, me too. His revenues from advertising dollars across the country are incredibly high. Huge numbers of listeners AND viewers. More per capita income per listener in the country. Soooo....tell me again why he's not on the air here anymore?

Streamer1212

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 PM

2,000 posts, read 3,569,272 times
I don't understand what is so attractive about AM it sounds terrible, is it just a range thing? I am really disappointed in 101.1 getting put off the air. Even more so they put 102.1 on the air in it's place, just take it off the air. Curtis Media you suck.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM

735 posts, read 1,580,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
i don't understand what is so attractive about am it sounds terrible, is it just a range thing? I am really disappointed in 101.1 getting put off the air. Even more so they put 102.1 on the air in it's place, just take it off the air. Curtis media you suck.
it's cheap

Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,121,616 times
I'm sure radio is a tough business and has to be "calibrated" constantly to adjust to the market. But I'm a creature of habit who hates this "new world". Major changes should occur no more often than every 10 years (yea right).

I was just getting used to 850 having revived the old WKIX. I caught Boortz on 101.1, sometimes Handleman in the afternoon. I liked Bill LuMaye on 680, he's been moved to 6-10 AM. Still got to watch schedules and memorize when Mark Levin is on. I think Micheal Savage got left out altogether. Brad & Britt would have been better to drop, IMHO. I never cared for them. I like Clark Howard OK but he got 2 time slots, I do't understand that.

Also in the deal, 570 is now full time comedy. I don't see that lasting long. I tuned in in today & thought some of the material was pretty crude for radio.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,143 times
I tried to listen to the AM station. Yuck, sounds awful. Muffled and static. I am done, will stick with podcasts.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 AM

5,805 posts, read 6,861,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
They also turn their signal down at night and you cant even hear it in Durham. I guess it's NPR or 99.9 sports talk......
Most AM stations are required by the FCC to lower their power output at night.

There is more info on AM radio at Wikipedia.
AM broadcasting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2012, 03:25 PM

4,254 posts, read 4,672,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
I tried to listen to the AM station. Yuck, sounds awful. Muffled and static.
Static is a fact of life for AM. Sound quality is partly a question of how the station's transmitter processes its input -- usually configured for maximum punch for speech (a non-technical explanation) at the expense of fidelity -- and partly a consequence that few manufacturers of AM receivers want to spend incremental money to provide a high-quality experience. It is possible to transmit and receive reasonably high quality mono over AM, although you have to live with static and night signal propagation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary