Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM

14 posts, read 34,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Homes that are priced around $150,000 to $175,000...great condition, great location...multiple offers! I had to "steal" one away from another agent by offering on $1,000 less than asking price. Not what I wanted to do but what the buyer wanted, since there were 2 offers on same property.

Homes in great locations priced $200,000 to $275,000 are selling very well. Less time on the market.

Homes $300,000 to $375,000 are selling due to low inventory; however, my OPINION is that may change as more folks put their homes on the market.
Vicki

What does this mean for my house that's currently listed for $294k? Am I doomed for no sale?? hehehehe..

However, we've been on the market right at 30 days, and have had 7 showings, so we're pleased about that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM

502 posts, read 1,654,654 times
My brother lived in Orange County, CA for two years. Although he enjoyed the weather and social aspect he was excited when he had an opportunity to move back to NC. He made a very good salary but he and his fiance (now wife) always felt like they were struggling. I think they were paying over $2000 a month for a modest apartment. Buying a home seemed impossible. Now that they're back they've been able to build their savings, buy a home, and have Auntie HomeHuntress around to spoil her niece and nephew

Old 03-15-2012, 01:43 PM

43 posts, read 127,423 times
CA native here. We are moving to Holly Springs in late May. We are among those whose purchases are causing a jump for the Triangle area!

I personally love CA. I never really got why the weather makes such a difference until I lived in NY for a few years. Then you get it. The weather here is awesome.

Cost of living is another much less pleasant thing. While I think the house in the picture above is way overpriced even in a market that is picking up, I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell somewhere in the $600's.

The job market here is what's kept us here for so long. There's nowhere else where you can find jobs in tech so consistently.

We jumped on the chance to move to the Raleigh area when my wife's company offered. We've daydreamed about it since she first started traveling there years ago. For what it means for the quality of life for my family, giving up the good things about being here is worth it.

The Bay Area in particular is a great area for its cultural diversity and activity, the proximity to great health care and research universities, and the general level of education available.
Raleigh seems to have many of these same qualities, and we hope that we will enjoy life there even more than we have here. Living in a house twice as big as our current home should help ease the sting.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,180 times
We're helping the cause this month with a purchase. Hopefully the momentum is maintained when we sell our home

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

229 posts, read 703,815 times
My guess is a couple who both work in professional careers making six-figures each, and who have or plan to have kids. Most young couples not planning on kids would lean towards a condo in the city or something I would imagine, vs. living in a dump with a yard to take care of (or not in most cases).

A good friend of mine from High School recently bought a 1000sf place for $550k in equally as bad condition as the one I linked to. He saved for years to get a ~$100k down payment together, and now basically lives in the ghetto, in a 1/2 million dollar home.... Not the way I would have done things, obviously, since I'm in Apex.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:44 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary B123 View Post
What does this mean for my house that's currently listed for $294k? Am I doomed for no sale?? hehehehe..

However, we've been on the market right at 30 days, and have had 7 showings, so we're pleased about that!!
Wow! A great amount of showings in a short time period! Keep up the good work!

I was using price ranges that I had currently been showing. It may have made more sense if I had rounded up!!!

Best of luck!

Vicki

Old 03-15-2012, 06:12 PM

107 posts, read 143,781 times
Things are doing great here as well. Here's hoping it continues. You just never know.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,963 times
Lots of movement in my neighborhood as of late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary