Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM

344 posts, read 841,710 times

Advertisements

i have some questions for you
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,678 times
We relocated from Media, PA last year. Close to but not in the city of Philly.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:40 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I grew up in Newtown Square (Hi Voltige!), but I moved here from the DC area. My family is all still back there (in Bucks and Chester Counties), so I may be able to help.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,069 times
Yeah, I grew up in the suburbs of Philly.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 PM

omg great great!
so here it goes
by moving to raleigh, which i am strongly considering, what am i gaining and leaving behind?
pros and cons
plus what is the feel there? socially speaking
every city i have ever lived in, there are just common themes or mindsets that come up with repetition, with most locals...the vibe

also, you know how like in philly, everyone, even your friends, are figuratively counting the cadilacs in your backyard...hoping that you have fewer than more....b/c its fair, b/c people do not tend to be, in philly, as satisfied with their lives. whereas in say baltimore, people dont have 5hit, and they tend to be way more satisfied with things, and are less aggressive than in philly (across all economic spectrums....yes, this includes bryn mawr lol)
that said, do people tend to be more satisfied with the results of their life in raleigh? how does raleigh weigh in?

i am from philly/ wynnefield/ st joes....am temporarily staying in indianapolis
i use to live in western ny for 8 years. i had tech jobs. my understanding is that everyone left there about 8-12 years ago, and from other parts of the country, moving TO north carolina. whereas the tech industry there was blowing up. i think they were moving to raleigh, but i can remember. is raleigh where the abundance of software test/tech jobs are in nc?

michgc
are you aware of the global energy grid? and that dc lies in one of its hot spots? that said, i lived in baltimore for a little, and i could seriously FEEL the heavy dc energy. assuming you know of r could feel it in dc, how is that energy in comparison to raleigh? i would prefer dc for this energy alone, but the cost of living in dc is ridiculous....$3+ per sq foot smh. and dc does not have the industry that will keep me afloat, as i understand that nc does

what are the beaches like there, in nc? please please tell me better than "the shore"
in a portion of my late childhood, 7 years, i lived in pasadena and was spoiled by the beaches hehe

thanks so much guys!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
omg great great!
so here it goes
by moving to raleigh, which i am strongly considering, what am i gaining and leaving behind?
pros and cons
plus what is the feel there? socially speaking
every city i have ever lived in, there are just common themes or mindsets that come up with repetition, with most locals...the vibe
You are leaving behind great food - hoagies, steaks, corner pizza shops...just doesnt compare here. Also the variety and depth of AWESOME places in Philly. Here, yes, there are some great restaurants, but mostly a ton of B- places, very few A+ spots. You are also leaving behind the city. We dont really have a big city life here...yes there is downtown Raleigh, but its not like center city.

Pros - tons. The people here are nicer, MUCH nicer. Which means every interaction is likely to positively impact your day versus negatively. From the guy at the gas station to the person behind the counter at subway to the guy you take your car for repair...you name it, people just tend to be more honest, empathetic, and just plain nice here. They actually enjoy and are grateful for their jobs versus in Philly, youre doing everyone a favor by walking into their store.

Quote:
also, you know how like in philly, everyone, even your friends, are figuratively counting the cadilacs in your backyard...hoping that you have fewer than more....b/c its fair, b/c people do not tend to be, in philly, as satisfied with their lives. whereas in say baltimore, people dont have 5hit, and they tend to be way more satisfied with things, and are less aggressive than in philly (across all economic spectrums....yes, this includes bryn mawr lol)
that said, do people tend to be more satisfied with the results of their life in raleigh? how does raleigh weigh in?
People are way more content down here. People tend to move here to get away from that stuff. Just want to live an easy, normal paced life in a great area with mild weather and nice people.

Quote:
i am from philly/ wynnefield/ st joes....am temporarily staying in indianapolis
i use to live in western ny for 8 years. i had tech jobs. my understanding is that everyone left there about 8-12 years ago, and from other parts of the country, moving TO north carolina. whereas the tech industry there was blowing up. i think they were moving to raleigh, but i can remember. is raleigh where the abundance of software test/tech jobs are in nc?
Yes, youre thinking of Research Triangle Park or RTP, in Durham. We also have a booming tech sector comparatively speaking...Red Hat, SAS, Cree, etc...all extremely lucrative and growing. Also IBM, EMC, NetApp, etc...lots of choices.

Quote:
are you aware of the global energy grid? and that dc lies in one of its hot spots? that said, i lived in baltimore for a little, and i could seriously FEEL the heavy dc energy. assuming you know of r could feel it in dc, how is that energy in comparison to raleigh? i would prefer dc for this energy alone, but the cost of living in dc is ridiculous....$3+ per sq foot smh. and dc does not have the industry that will keep me afloat, as i understand that nc does
Not aware of this at all cant help.

Quote:
what are the beaches like there, in nc? please please tell me better than "the shore"
in a portion of my late childhood, 7 years, i lived in pasadena and was spoiled by the beaches hehe

thanks so much guys!!!
The beaches here are more natural, serene, peaceful, etc versus the shore which is more about bars, drinking, rides, etc. You'll quickly go to "the boardwalk" here and realize its a hot dog stand, henna tattoo place and t-shirt shop and go "what? boardwalk???" If thats attractive to you, you'll enjoy the peace and quiet. If its not, then go to another beach. You can always go to more populated beaches like Myrtle, which is only 3 hrs from here. Thats the great thing - closest beaches are ~2 hours, OBX is 3, Myrtle is a little over 3 etc...many choices.

Bottom line - I love it here. Have ZERO intentions of leaving.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM

Rory,
awesome and thorough
thanks so much for the details and making it so comprehensive

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
Used to live in Philly and I'm a proud alum of Penn.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:12 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,850 times
The only thing my hubby misses is the food and his teams
You just can't beat this area though.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 AM

187 posts, read 803,437 times
I second, that the Outdoors are great here in NC trails, lakes, beaches etc, we moved down from Havertown 5yrs ago... Surprisingly, I missed Wawa . Everytime we drive back up to visit family we get a Wawa fix. Also, mix a good bakery, they seem to be few and far between - can't beat Termini Bros. Back in Philly... All in all, you most likely will enjoy your move, there is really no traffic here when commuting to work and more open spaces. & it's also great to catch the Flyers when they are in town playing the Hurricanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary