Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yes or No for me?
Siler City: Yes 3 27.27%
Siler City: No 8 72.73%
Ramseur: Yes 1 9.09%
Ramseur: No 6 54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 25,103 times

Advertisements

I want to move near my daughter and grandchildren who live in Cary. I would like to purchase an older home in the Siler City-Ramseur area and I am wondering if anyone can give me input regarding the area. I am 58, female. Obviously I do not want to be in a high crime area and I notice that there is a higher-than-national-average rate of thefts and perhaps burglaries in the Ramseur area; haven't checked Siler City yet. Also I would prefer a relatively settled population with a reasonably high level of home ownership. I also NEED cable/satellite and high speed internet. I will very much appreciate any comments anyone might have to offer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM

273 posts, read 911,869 times
There are so many, many, many places to live that are closer to Cary than Siler City and Ramseur with lovely older homes. Even Pittsboro is closer. Unless you have found the home of your life long dreams, I think you would fall into social isolation there.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Thank you. Social isolation is my natural state, I'm afraid. I have looked everywhere between Asheboro and Cary. My issue is that I have only about $100,000 to invest in property and I have a limited income ... but I have a lot of "stuff" that I have not yet been able to sort through so I need space and/or storage (I lost not one but two houses in my recent former life and both were full of furniture etc). I have not seen many places that are "perfect" but one is in Ramseur. There was an incredible property just east of Siler City but for some reason it was taken off the market :-(

Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
You don't really tell us enough about yourself for anyone to say if something would be a "good fit" for you. "58-YO female who needs high-speed Internet and being near Cary" isn't much to go on. "A good fit" implies that the "lifestyle" and culture of the area matches what you as a person find desirable, and you didn't say much about that.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM

OK, good point. I read, I work in the yard, I take care of my animals, I mind my own business and keep to myself. I don't make or like noise. I don't like crowds. I am not a misanthrope despite how this might sound; I like people well enough and am happy to participate in local activities, plus I am a mean decorator at Halloween; I am simply private. I like being able to go into a restaurant and have the staff know what I like to drink (iced tea in the summer; hot tea in the winter). I have about a thousand LPs and approximately the same number of CDs. I don't watch television much. I spent a lot of time on the computer. I have a 2005 Toyota Solara convertible and a 1964 Mercury Montclair with a breezeway window. What else might be helpful? It's hard to see the picture when I'm in the frame. I suppose I am really just looking for information about the area.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Siler City is not the quaint rural southern town (home of Aunt Bea) that you might be imagining. It is rural, but has declining industrial/rail/ag processing parts to its economy as well. It strikes me as a town well past its prime. It's been a flashpoint of immigration debate due to its very large Hispanic population.

If nothing else, it is a great place to get a good cheeseburger:

Carolina Stockyards | Our State Magazine

Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
The 1964 Mercury Montclair with the breezeway window is the real ticket. All the rest is fluff.

I would suggest something near/in Pittsboro.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Thanks to both the transplant and the broker. "Aunt Bea" was what I was aiming for, dag nab it. The Merc gains me entree' almost everywhere; it has fewer than 70,000 actual miles and is almost all original FoMoCo parts. I have looked in Pittsboro and will look again. I love both cheeseburgers and chocolate, neither in moderation. Having poured out my heart and bared my very soul to Francois, I await his reply with breathless anticipation.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,983 times
i like the sound of the mercury & this made me chuckle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana Susan View Post
Having poured out my heart and bared my very soul to Francois, I await his reply with breathless anticipation.
have you considered pittsboro (previously recommended) & hillsborough?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana Susan View Post
Thanks to both the transplant and the broker. "Aunt Bea" was what I was aiming for, dag nab it. The Merc gains me entree' almost everywhere; it has fewer than 70,000 actual miles and is almost all original FoMoCo parts. I have looked in Pittsboro and will look again. I love both cheeseburgers and chocolate, neither in moderation. Having poured out my heart and bared my very soul to Francois, I await his reply with breathless anticipation.
Forget Pittsboro.

Now, everyone wants you for their neighbor.
Going all Mr Rogers on you...

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood Intro Theme - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary