Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 16,706 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im 20 years old, i turn 21 in may. im looking to join a police force and i really like the raleigh area. i from a small town and can take a BLET course here but i would obviously rather be payed to take a class than pay to take it.

i wanted to know just about anything anyone can tell me about the academy. how much running? how important is physical ablility to them?
one post on this site said that they were going to change to a dorm style academy? how hard is it to get hired on? especially since im young and have no experience.

a little info about me:
im a high school state champion wrestler, 3 sport athlete. i work at a gym. im 6'5" 280 pounds. i run a 25 minute 3 mile on my own which isnt great, i assume i can do faster when it counts and if i have someone to run with. ive been working as a bouncer at bars and clubs since i was 18 for the money but mainly for the experience of learning to deal with stupid people.
i have no tattoos. no record, ive never been pulled over. i dont drink, ive never done any drugs, ive never even seen marjuana.

any info would be helpful! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
My ex went through the RPD Academy about 10 years ago. It was like the civilian version of boot camp.

They even yelled at people.

Running was very important. As was every other athletic achievement. Marksmanship was big. So was driving school. The tests (written and performance) were frequent.

I wouldn't say it was easy for any of them. I watched a ton of video from it. The class created a video they showed at the graduation banquet. It's likely still available someplace around RPD.

Go and apply. No need to take BLET elsewhere if they'll let you in.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
it used to be that you had to be sponsored to go thru BLET. you can possibly get this as an aux officer. You should consider applying to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, apex, Morrisville, Knighdale (public safety, have to do fire and safety), Wendell, Zebulon, etc...

Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 AM

2 posts, read 16,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Go and apply. No need to take BLET elsewhere if they'll let you in.
Yeah, that's why I want to do it, I'd rather be paid to take the class than pay for it myself. The hard part would be getting in because I lack an impressive resume. I'm still planning on taking BLET at my local community college and would definately apply there afterwards, along with just about everywhere else, including my home town, but Raleigh pays much better, also i like the area and love south point.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Best of luck!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,715 times
You will be okay. You're worrying too much about things that you can't control. Apply to the above listed police departments and go from there. Worse case senerio is that you will need to do something else or get waitlisted (if they do that?) and have to apply again in the future.

You can do it I am sure! It wouldn't hurt to start on a running plan of running every other day at least and increasing your distance until you come in at a time you like.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,038 times
I have a question about the Raleigh/Durham Police Academy. If I am a recruit going through the academy, is it possible to transfer to a different state PD before completing the Police Officer Training (PTO)?

Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingwife View Post
I have a question about the Raleigh/Durham Police Academy. If I am a recruit going through the academy, is it possible to transfer to a different state PD before completing the Police Officer Training (PTO)?
You have to find out from that PD - most require you put in a certain of number of years first because that department is paying for your training. My husbands department said if he left before 3 years, he would have to pay back some of the cost it took to train him.

And for the OP, I agree with the others not to worry too much. Keep running, and if you are in good physical condition and can push yourself, you can make it through the academy. Most often, getting into the academies isn't the hardest part, it's getting through them. The academy is the training.. so they don't expect you to have a ton of experience. They expect you to have a good clean record, and be dedicated. You'll be good to go

Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM

242 posts, read 594,005 times
I have heard that the Raleigh & Durham academies are the toughest in the state. Be prepared for at least 3 days a week of boot camp-like physical training: running up to 5 miles, sprinting up & down hills & steps, pushups, situps....and daily episodes of "in your face" & in front of the entire class yelling by instructors. The class work is tough, but nothing compared to the physical & mental portion of the training. Be prepared....and remember it's a mind game & only the strongest survive.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,886 times
Don't get ahead of yourself and start worrying about things like physical training just yet. Police jobs are very hard to get. Most cities and counties are cutting their budgets. Most departments have long lists of applicants so it can take years to get through the hiring process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary