Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:53 AM

240 posts, read 627,802 times

Advertisements

I am looking to find a contractor that can help me design the floorplan and build out the unfinished section of my second floor. It is approximately 900 sq ft and I want to turn the area into a dedicated home theater and an office. I appreciate any suggestions you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 AM

57 posts, read 132,951 times
Bumping the thread up. I am also interested to see replies on this. I would suggest if you are even remotely project management savvy to hire all the contractors yourself and yourself to perform a mini General Contractor role to save some dough (i.e. hire the electrical guy, hire the plumber, drywaller, file for the building permits yourself, etc).

Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 PM

564 posts, read 873,350 times
How serious of a home theater do you want? Are you just talking about a typical media room or do you want a serious home theater with sound control and treatment?

I just completed my third home theater (have relocated with my job several times). Most builders are not expert at home theater design. They can do a simple room if you just want a flat screen television, inwall speakers, etc. However, if you want to go with front projection, have sound isolation and acoustical treatment that will give you better performance than the local theater, I can give you some advice on which way to go. There are people out there that can create a design, along with specifications, that you can then give to a builder for a completed project.

Also, if you are willing to take the time to research and read, you can actually do a design yourself and save a few dollars.

Let me know if you want more information.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Here is a good section on the avsforum boards that covers home theater construction.

Dedicated Theater Design & Construction - AVS Forum

You will have a mix of people that are building their own theater and those that are using builders. I used Dennis Erskine for my design and then my builder did the construction. I prefer to do my own wiring, equipment purchasing and installation of equipment. You will see people with very small budgets and others that will spend a fortune. Basically, you should be able to find something to fit any budget.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Check my previous recommendations for Joseph Grantham. I've posted tens of photos and many paragraphs of details about his work here at my house and I would not use any other contractor unless he was not available. He's that good.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Janster, I am all over the AVS Forums. I hear you on the Erskine design but I don't plan on budgeting $2000+ just for the design work. I do plan on being my own GC and subbing out the work I don't do myself. I plan on going to Audio Advice this week to look at their setups to get a better idea of what to do. I have a really blank slate now so I want to plan out everything I can think of to help reduce the regret factor later. I could do a dedicated room that would be about 16x22' or I could do a more open room with a bar in the back corner and it would be more like 20x29'. I will hopefully know more tomorrow when a few of the subs come out to take a look at what is possible.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
I built a home theater in my basement about 2 years ago. Avs is a great resource. When I did mine I saved a lot of money by not going with a completely sound proof room. I asked myself if it was really worth it, and the answer is no. I dont have children, and some sound leakage was not going to be much of an issue. The cost of the green glue, clips, and channel adds up pretty quick. Then you have to worry about the ducts, doors, lights, and a bunch of other stuff. I stuffed the walls and ceiling with insulation, and did two layers of drywall on the ceiling as well. My room holds the sound in really well. Almost none of the higher frequencies make it out, but the bass will pass through pretty easily. Overall I saved myself thousands and am very happy with how it turned out. I think a lot of people on AVS stress too much about the small things. I know I did, and at one point I just said forget it and just do it. I planned for two years on that sight before construction (also while saving money), but I learned a ton. Good luck with your build.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
Janster, I am all over the AVS Forums. I hear you on the Erskine design but I don't plan on budgeting $2000+ just for the design work. I do plan on being my own GC and subbing out the work I don't do myself. I plan on going to Audio Advice this week to look at their setups to get a better idea of what to do. I have a really blank slate now so I want to plan out everything I can think of to help reduce the regret factor later. I could do a dedicated room that would be about 16x22' or I could do a more open room with a bar in the back corner and it would be more like 20x29'. I will hopefully know more tomorrow when a few of the subs come out to take a look at what is possible.

AVS sciences had a deal with Dennis in which you could get some basic design services for $600. I did this with my previous theater. If you have some basic meassurements of the room and can diagram out, other AVS forum members will probably give you some advice.

In my previous HT, I did the clips, double drywall, green glue, sealed door, etc. Unfortunately, I was not able to do this in my current home as it would have required a significant modification to our 3rd floor walk up.

The dedicated room will allow you to control the acoustics much better (absorption/diffusion), but it is up to you as to what is also the best option for room utilization. I will send you a DM with other info.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 AM

I don't plan on doing the Resilient channel and clips as I am really just concerned about sound traveling down. I think I will do two layers of 3/4"s OSB with a layer of roofing felt or a rubber sheeting product in between them. On the walls I will probably double drywall and GG. I am looking at changing my floorplan to more of a "media room" layout so I can incorporate a larger bar in the back of the room. I know I will sacrifice some acoustics but the functionality will be great I believe.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 11,033 times
Trying to bump an old thread. We are looking to finish our 3rd floor attic and I'm looking to convert a 20x26' space into a dedicated theater too. Any contractor information would be great. I've been reading on AVS and getting ideas about soundproofing since it will be over some second floor bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary