Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times

Advertisements

I read the the proposal for the new math curriculum, common core, was tabled at the last board meeting.
I'm trying to find out more about it and how it will affect middle school students. I have a student who 1.) is taking 6th grade math this year in the 5th grade and 2.) is on the waiting list for Ligon with a decent chance of getting in.

Last night I went to our local middle school and they weren't sure what was going to happen next year, which is bothersome! They mentioned offering something called math 6, math 6 plus, math 7, etc..

We were told that these new classes would be more rigorous and help align students with the new push for algebra in the 8th grade, which is great. But in the "common core" it won't be called algebra I guess (Math 8 plus?)
Does anyone know? Under the old curriculum, my daughter would take pre-algebra in 6th grade, algebra in 7th grade and geometry in 8th.
I'm wondering what that will look like if they adopt the Common Core math curriculum.
Also, for those who have currently have students in compacted 5th/6th grade math. What math class would they take in 6th grade?
Also, does anyone know if ALL schools would convert to common core? For example, would a middle school like Ligon convert to the new curriculum too?

Last edited by lamishra; 03-16-2012 at 10:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,614 times
I think a lot of this is up in the air at this point. From what I've heard, the magnets will still have leeway in offering the compacted curriculum, but they still have to move to the Common Core like everybody else.

Supposedly, nobody is going to be offering the compacted 5/6 math anymore except magnets. Not sure how true this is. The magnets may not call it compacted 5/6 math anymore, but I honestly can't see the acceleration going away. Too many AG magnet parents expect it and they've done it for years at the AG magnets so its not like it was something new for them.

I know that next year the high schools will be offering Common Core 1, Geometry, Alg II. Then the following year, it will be CC I, CC II, Alg II and the year after that they will all be Common Core. Not sure where that puts younger kids like yours. My guess is that Ligon & Carnage will be more accommodating to those kids than regular schools that don't already have those paths and support in place. But I don't know--that's just my hunch based on past experience.

Good luck getting into Ligon! I know that you've tried many times before to get into the magnets. My rising 7th grader got in for next year so if you see me, say hi. I'd love to meet you in person!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,369 times
You might want to include WCPSS in your title. Your question is unique to WCPSS conversion of Common Core Math. But the state is requiring all districts to convert. Durham is beginning it's conversion next year, but each conversion will be different in each district.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM

I actually didn't realize this was a statewide conversion. I'll have to do more reading!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I actually didn't realize this was a statewide conversion. I'll have to do more reading!
I think it has to do with Race to the Top.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It's actually national (though they are careful to say it isn't federal, it is "state led"). Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home

Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks for that. I also found some good info relevant to WCPSS here in case anyone else is interested: http://www.wcpss.net/Board/work-sess...cs-2012-13.pdf

Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I think it has to do with Race to the Top.
While the Federal Government does want all states to adopt Common Core Curriculum (and not just Common Core Math... but multiple subjects), it does seem that the states like NC that received RttT $ are the first ones converting.
Which of course makes me suspicious.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
While the Federal Government does want all states to adopt Common Core Curriculum (and not just Common Core Math... but multiple subjects), it does seem that the states like NC that received RttT $ are the first ones converting.
Which of course makes me suspicious.
Why would adopting common core standards be a bad thing, regardless of what the motivation is?

There's nothing in RTTT that I've seen thus far that isn't good for students.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Why would adopting common core standards be a bad thing, regardless of what the motivation is?

There's nothing in RTTT that I've seen thus far that isn't good for students.
The Answer Sheet - The problem(s) with the Common Core standards

http://www.brookings.edu/%7E/media/F...n_loveless.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary