Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
Whole Foods ... well I was a fan until I found that their definition of 'local' includes an area larger than North Carolina...
This irks me as well. How the hell is a product made in Atlanta considered local? I wouldn't even consider that hummus they stock from Asheville local. At least Earth Fare seems to have a more common sense idea of what local means on their shelves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
I prefer Earth Fare. They have everything I need, they're conveniently located (for me) in Brier Creek, they're a North Carolina company, and I don't object to their business practices.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 AM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
They may be smug and expensive, but in the end I always end up back at weaver street.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM

47 posts, read 81,567 times
Quote:
Whole Foods ... well I was a fan until I found that their definition of 'local' includes an area larger than North Carolina...
That almost put me off, too. What I realized, though, is that on a global scale, 50 united States of America is considered local. So, if I have a choice between Mexico or Brazil and Arizona, I'll choose Arizona. Not that I don't like or appreciate Mexican or Brazilian food. I just like to choose products that support our own economy.

Whole Foods Market is also deserving of applause in that if you want certain items locally and you find a vendor, you can petition that they use that vendor in addition to the others. The more people participate in this program, the more narrowly we can define "local." IMHO, all groceries should follow this example.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSchoolMom View Post
That almost put me off, too. What I realized, though, is that on a global scale, 50 united States of America is considered local. So, if I have a choice between Mexico or Brazil and Arizona, I'll choose Arizona. Not that I don't like or appreciate Mexican or Brazilian food. I just like to choose products that support our own economy.

Whole Foods Market is also deserving of applause in that if you want certain items locally and you find a vendor, you can petition that they use that vendor in addition to the others. The more people participate in this program, the more narrowly we can define "local." IMHO, all groceries should follow this example.
Eh, I don't buy this argument at all. I feel like Harris Teeter does a MUCH better job of stocking truly local goods than Whole Foods does. Harris Teeter also accepts vendor suggestions. In fact that's the reason they started stocking a flavor of Ciao Bella at my local Harris Teeter that they previously didn't. I hounded the manager haha.

If it says local, it should be LOCAL. Otherwise they should mark it as a domestic product.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Eh, I don't buy this argument at all. I feel like Harris Teeter does a MUCH better job of stocking truly local goods than Whole Foods does. Harris Teeter also accepts vendor suggestions. In fact that's the reason they started stocking a flavor of Ciao Bella at my local Harris Teeter that they previously didn't. I hounded the manager haha.

If it says local, it should be LOCAL. Otherwise they should mark it as a domestic product.
Maybe the local food doesnt meet whole foods standards? For example, we have quite a few local companies in Michigan that make pickles. Of those handful only two do not use yellow dye in them. Both of those are at my Whole Foods. Whole Foods does not allow foods with artificial dye, preservatives, hydrogenated fats, sweeteners, and gmo products. Does Harris Teeter have those same standards?

Quote:
Really? I like Trader Joes in general (and I particularly admire how a store that sells mostly frozen and microwave meals has done with the 'hip and healthy' market), but one thing I don't like is the staff: I often find them obnoxious and impertinent.

Local for my whole foods includes quite a few states, and i'm glad it does. There are lots of great products coming from the bordering states, and it's helping to support their business. I would rather buy food from a local state, than another country or a state that 1,000+ miles away.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Local for my whole foods includes quite a few states, and i'm glad it does. There are lots of great products coming from the bordering states, and it's helping to support their business. I would rather buy food from a local state, than another country or a state that 1,000+ miles away.
Then call it regional rather than local. There's nothing wrong with calling the food what it is (regional). Calling it local is misleading imo.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Actually, to Whole Foods local doesn't even mean it's from this continent!
Whole Foods Organic, Made In China - YouTube

Makes me sick. Once a corporation gets that big you just can't trust them. Better of sticking to the farmers markets. So what is everyone's favorite FM?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM

State Farmers Market is my absolute favorite for convenience, quality, and prices. I can't count the number of times I've run down there after work to pick up some ingredients I forgot to get on my weekend trip to the market.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:02 PM

47 posts, read 81,567 times
Yikes, looks like a few of us spunkier ones ought to hold a candle to Whole Foods so their terminology is easily understood! Good points made about local vs regional. At their customer service desks, they have a sheet you can fill out (some even post them on a public board) to voice your requests. Also, calls can be made to the higher ups and speaking to the management in person. One thing I give Whole Foods is that they have a history of listening to their customers. At least, in the past few years I've been going to them. And I make a lot of requests!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary