Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM

9 posts, read 31,833 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We(my husband, 2 kids ages 4 and 9, and I) will be relocating to NC due to my job, this summer and we are in the process of researching schools in the area. We read through the school assignment process and are quiet overwhelmed. Yeah! wish me luck! Working on private schools as plan "B"

We did visit last month and looked around in Cary. We have friends there and are planning to live in Cary. My older one is going to 4th grade and the younger one will be in preschool(November born). We visited chesterbrook and like it so far, havent visited the other 2 schools. Looking for feedback on these 3, if folks can compare these 3 or provide any information, that would be highly appreciated.

New to this forum, so please pardon me for the lengthy message! Have also been reading the numerous threads on schools and subdivisions in the area. Didnt find anything recent on comparison on these 3 schools

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,432 times
I toured Chesterbrook and while I liked everything from researching online, it was not the school for us once I got there and saw it. Different needs for different families of course but it was just too small for us, plus things like no gym and other issues. I forget the other things but I had written it off before we even got into the magnet, which we did thank goodness!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 AM

Thank you! I agree with your feedback on the lack of gym. I heard Hopewell does better at athletics. Will have to wait until we tour the school, though.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 AM

273 posts, read 911,596 times
Default Hopewell Academy

I too second the vote for Hopewell! They are internationally and regionally accredited with highly qualified teachers.

They have a multi-season Athletics program in Middle and High School and play in the Central Carolina Athletic League. They have PE every day for students in grades 4 through 8 and meet the PE requirements for High School graduation. They use Bond Park, Town of Cary, and Town of Morrisville facilities for their program even though they do not have a gym. On campus they have a field and playspace they are renovating this summer.

Chesterbrook announced recently that they are discontinuing the Chesterbrook Middle School program--at least in Cary.

Last edited by 4alark; 03-27-2012 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default Atlas

Some things about Atlas:
They dont own their building and acutally share it (the space they use) with a church organization and its on a yearly lease meaning they can move.
Small playground/ equipment
Very small classroom size (students)
No gym

Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM

Thank you, folks, really appreciate it!
@4alark - I didnt hear that about chesterbrook. Thank you for sharing that.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 PM

330 posts, read 984,654 times
If you are looking for a strong athletic program then Atlas would not be high on your list. But if you want small class size and fantastic teacher/student ration, Atlas definitely excels.

They are on a multi-year lease.

I love the holistic feel/teaching of Atlas where there is an emphasis on healthy eating (no junk food sold on premises like many schools) and where there is an appreciation of languages and the arts.

Another plus is the shorter school day to allow more time for extra-curricular activities if you choose. When you have a small student/teacher ratio you can learn just as much in a shorter class time.

Atlas International School in Raleigh

I personally homeschool but would send my kids to Atlas if we didn't based on what I know about them, their culture and values.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 AM

13 posts, read 38,227 times
Umm my daughter has attended Chesterbrook for 5 years and I have dropped her off in the GYM just about every morning.
I would suggest taking a tour for yourself, folks are right that it is small. However we have found that for us, that has been a positive not a negative. Great sense of community. Any other ?s please PM me.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,776 times
Default Hopewell Academy

I am a parent of a 7th grade student at Hopewell, and though I
can't comment on the other schools, I can tell you that Hopewell
has been a very positive experience for our son and family.
The school has a beautiful new building set in the heart of Cary
at Preston Corners. The teachers and staff are very dedicated and while
quite small, the school is poised for growth. I would suggest you put it
high on your list of schools to consider! Good luck with your decision
and your move to Cary.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM

16 posts, read 83,123 times
We go to Chesterbrook in Cary and love it. It does have a gym - a BIG gym - and I too drop my kids off there every morning. Both my elementary and pre-schooler have gym class taught by a full-time gym teacher 2 days a week.

It is a very academically-oriented school, and I have not heard of one bad teacher in the school. (To me, the teacher is everything).
They have lots of different programs and speciality classes.

It is true that the school does get small in the older grades - so see if you are comfortable with that.

good luck!

Last edited by pattym1; 03-31-2012 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary