Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times

Advertisements

Growing up in Florida, I've had my share of school bus rides to and from school. However, I had never experienced a school bus having to back up and turn around out of a neighborhood in order to drop kids off. My assumption is that they bus driver decides that it's safer to drop the kids off one block into a subdivision instead of the main road. Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence/policy or is the driver going out of their way to accommodate the children? I don't have anything against it, but just find it odd that I've see 2 different buses pulling into my neighborhood to drop off the children and then backing up into another intersection to turn around.

Seems a little inefficient to me. Anyway, just curious because I was stopped behind one of these buses and it started backing up as if I knew exactly what it was trying to do (this was a while back when I first moved into the neighborhood). In the end, it may be in the driver's handbook or something but I don't have any knowledge of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
We have a bus that does that in our neighborhood. We are zoned for traditional and those kids go to yer round - just looking at the bus route (because I've followed it thru the neighbor hood) and where the school is in relation to us, I can think of a much more efficient route. But instead of efficient routes we get buses backing up and bell schedule changes. Oh well!

One time my kids' bus had a sub driver and they pulled into our neighborhood and did the old backing up and going forward thing and completely changed the route, so the bus came from the opposite direction it usually does. We were like WTF is going on when it showed up at stop on the other side of the road. My kids thought it was pretty funny, they were asking the bus driver "WHAT are you doing?!?"

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
My neighborhood has a loop on the main road. The buses back up to turn around rather than taking two minutes to simply drive around the loop.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM

154 posts, read 389,403 times
Most of the "why" questions you might ask can be answered by this:

WCPSS: School bus routes and stops (http://www.wcpss.net/transportation/bus_routes.html - broken link)

Quote:
The board subscribes to state statutes and guidelines regarding the location of bus stops. As assigned by the superintendent, central transportation staff shall implement this strategy in cooperation with
the appropriate administrative authority at the local schools.

Bus stops are placed no closer than two-tenths of a mile apart unless safety hazards exist.
Buses are routed on state-maintained roads only.
Buses are generally prohibited from traveling into cul-de-sacs.
Generally, bus stops are placed on corners.
Recommended walking distances to a bus stop for students:

Elementary student - three-tenths of a mile
Middle School student - five-tenths of a mile
High School student - five-tenths of a mile
flamtap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary