Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM

286 posts, read 699,583 times

Advertisements

Low interest rates are gonna give us more of those empty purty buildings downtown. Uh-yuk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
There's little bodega type places for things like milk and during the growing season there's a farmers' market on Fayetteville Street every Wednesday but you currently can't do your grocery shopping walking downtown. You'd have to take a bus or drive to the Kroger off of MLK Blvd or the Harris Teeter in Cameron Village.
Harris-Teeter in Cameron Village bends you over on all but advertised items. They know they have you by the short hairs because of little grocery presence downtown.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
This is exciting news, since that project has seemed dead in the water for a while now.

As a downtown resident for the past five years and the foreseeable future, here are my thoughts on the grocery store issue.

We live literally around the corner from one of the 'bodega' type shops (more of a convenience store), and they are fine if you suddenly find yourself in need of a bandaid, lighter, $8 single serving of laundry detergent, or a 40 oz of your favorite malt beverage. We did buy milk there once, and it was spoiled upon arrival in our glasses. We also purchased some off-brand of Pepto Bismol that seemed to work without any immediate consequences. I went there for flour once, and they did have flour, but only two different brands of self-rising. So you definitely can't do your grocery shopping at these places. They are primarily for emergencies only.

There is a small produce market in City Market next to Vic's restaurant. I haven't actually shopped there, and I don't know if they are open year-round, but I have heard that they have been there for quite some time. I think it is a true crime that the City Market building is anything other than, hm, a city market. It bugs me beyond belief that it sits empty most of the time until there is a wedding or special event.

We shop mostly at the HT in Cameron Village. Shopping can be a chaotic hassle there - it is supposedly the busiest of all HT stores. IMHO, that store is over capacity (and parking is a definite issue). I heard that they are expanding into the old Foster's space, but that still doesn't solve the parking issues.

I agree that a specialty market like Trader Joe's might work downtown for now until the residential population grows. I really don't know much about how stores determine when population density is enough to warrant a store, but I know that most people who live downtown would certainly shop at a grocery that was closer than the current alternatives.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Always nice to have a picture to visualize it.

And a Google view. Google Maps

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Thanks Bojangles for posting the map where the development will be located. I could see it being a bonus for young tenants being walking distance to the clubs off Hargett St. And nearby.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
We are going through a fight in Durham over Harris Teeter's plan to add a store at Ninth St. and Hillsborough Rd. It's technically outside "downtown" but as it's right on the other side of Duke's East Campus and next to Whole Foods, it's about as likely a location as we will see for a full line grocery so close in. There is a Food Lion about a mile further west from Ninth but that takes you out of walking/biking/Bull City Connector distance from it.

In Durham's case, some neighbors are advocating for a 2-story, urban design with less parking, with the concern that a more urban design is appropriate for an area that's densifying quickly. On the other hand, some of us are just happy to get an HT close in given the fact that Whole Foods, while great, doesn't provide everything one may need in one shopping trip.

Good luck with the groceries... it's a long slog! Might be worth looking at a coop model? We also have a group still working to bring the Durham Central Market coop downtown... I would think Raleigh could support one?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Have the people who want the 2 story HT to go visit the North Hills one before they ask for it too much or they may just be sorry. They talked abut tweaking it, but they botched it up real good with the selection of items they placed upstairs v downstairs and the access and layout for getting carts up in the elevator. It was horrible when I went there and lots of people complained about it here at CD also.

I would actually be interested to see how it is working now after a couple of years.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Quote:
There is a small produce market in City Market next to Vic's restaurant. I haven't actually shopped there, and I don't know if they are open year-round, but I have heard that they have been there for quite some time. I think it is a true crime that the City Market building is anything other than, hm, a city market. It bugs me beyond belief that it sits empty most of the time until there is a wedding or special event.
I always forget about that market. It's been there foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. I remember going in there as a kid with my mom because a friend of hers worked in there. It's pretty decent for fresh produce but from what I remember there's not much else in there. But it's still nice that you can go in and buy a bag of oranges or a head of lettuce.

And yes, it completely irks me that City Market became an event venue space. That space had so much potential.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM

397 posts, read 805,484 times
I just came from a year stint renting downtown @ the West Condo. I always wanted to live downtown, but have since moved and bought a townhome.

I think nicer rentals are the way to go to bring people into downtown.

The condo market is just very expensive, and after living there for a year, it's hard to justify paying $225-250 a square foot for living.

I can honestly say that DT living is a bit overated, and can add a sense of tension and stress to your life. You really have to be in to that kind of lifestlye, and what seems "cool" at first, does wear thin after a while.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Have the people who want the 2 story HT to go visit the North Hills one before they ask for it too much or they may just be sorry. They talked abut tweaking it, but they botched it up real good with the selection of items they placed upstairs v downstairs and the access and layout for getting carts up in the elevator. It was horrible when I went there and lots of people complained about it here at CD also.

I would actually be interested to see how it is working now after a couple of years.
I do shop there at times but prefer the store on Falls at Spring Forest Road.

HT really blew it even after moving things around. The most profitable lines such as health and beauty aids are still upstairs.

Many folks don't waste the trip up since Target is nearby and sells these items at much better prices.

HT is still sending $10 off $40 coupons to area residents indicating that the store may be bleeding losses after paying the rent to Kane Realty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary