Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 PM

10 posts, read 56,159 times

Advertisements

New to the area. We've always been in private schools in the North. We are concerned about bullying policies of privatre schools and public schools in the area. We have been frankly against public school - sorry. But public schools seem to have a strong bullying policies, in a good way in this area. Durham Academy also has a strong bullying policy on the website. But, we have elected to live in Raleigh. Wondering if it is worth the drive to Durham or elsewhere? Anyone know abouit Ravenscroft? I ASSUME NO BULLYING THERE

Three gifted kids. Research shows gifted kids are most likely to be bullied. We are concerned.

Ravenscroft and other private schools don't have bullying policies on the sites. Does this mean no Ravenscroft kids are ever bullied, so there is no need for a policy on the website?
What about other private schools?
I would really appreciate input.

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:59 AM

182 posts, read 386,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Mae View Post
New to the area. We've always been in private schools in the North. We are concerned about bullying policies of privatre schools and public schools in the area. We have been frankly against public school - sorry. But public schools seem to have a strong bullying policies, in a good way in this area. Durham Academy also has a strong bullying policy on the website. But, we have elected to live in Raleigh. Wondering if it is worth the drive to Durham or elsewhere? Anyone know abouit Ravenscroft? I ASSUME NO BULLYING THERE

Three gifted kids. Research shows gifted kids are most likely to be bullied. We are concerned.

Ravenscroft and other private schools don't have bullying policies on the sites. Does this mean no Ravenscroft kids are ever bullied, so there is no need for a policy on the website?
I would really appreciate input.

Thank you so much
I have bright kids and and never experienced bullying. not sure where research would show that to be the case but not in Apex schools.

also, by the time they get to the 8th grade or so they will be segregated by academic ability, so I can't see how they would singled out for being bright.

more likely they will need to be more worried about not being bright enough to compete with a class full of kids that can knock of two semesters of college calculus with a 5 on the AP exam

Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Every school has bullies. I don't think you can judge whether or not there are bullies or to what extent there may be a bullying problem based on what is, or is not on a school website.
You need to go to each school, speak with guidance counselors about what policies they have in place and try to speak with parents and students. Schools aren't going to highlight a bullying problem to potential new families, they're going to downplay it.
I think instead of focusing on which schools do or don't have bullies, you need to work with your children on what to do if they are bullied or if they see someone else bullied. I'm afraid children today can't always avoid it no matter what school they go to, but the best defense is education, communication, awareness, involvement and having a good plan in place.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM

189 posts, read 507,749 times
I am not sure whether your decision to go Private is to avoid bullying or Academics, but Wake county schools have a strong anti-bullying policy and AG programs for gifted kids.
If you have already decided on Private schools, consider Cary Academy. I have heard CA and DA are stronger than Ravenscroft for academics.
We have been happy with AG programs within Public schools and did not see the benefit of paying > 20k per year for private.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
I think instead of focusing on which schools do or don't have bullies, you need to work with your children on what to do if they are bullied or if they see someone else bullied. I'm afraid children today can't always avoid it no matter what school they go to, but the best defense is education, communication, awareness, involvement and having a good plan in place.
I agree with this. Not necessarily directed toward the o.p. but I am saddened how many parents look to the schools to raise their kids. I understand the school has a responsibility to provide a safe learning environment but I believe a lot of bullying would stop if the parents would direct their energy towards their child instead of the school system.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM

285 posts, read 493,150 times
Quote:
You can't assume that other schools aren't dealing with bullying just because there is no policy posted on their websites. In most independent schools, the bullying policy is a part of the school handbook. If you were to inquire directly, I expect that most schools would be happy to share theirs. Public schools post their bullying policies on their websites as a result of a law passed by the General Assembly in 2010.

To be honest, all schools deal with bullying concerns these days. It seems to be univeral. That doesn't mean that bullying is rampant, but it is an issue on the minds of most teachers and administrators.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM

137 posts, read 306,353 times
You can't avoid bullies, no matter where your child goes to school. But from my experience, I don't think just because they are bright, will make them a bully target. There are many, many gifted children in Wake County public schools and I don't think they are singled out for it. In fact, I think it could be an asset to them---for example, when one of my kids went to middle school, it was known who got into "advanced" math vs. the standard math. Everyone wanted to get into the advanced class so they didn't feel like they were less smart than the other kids. I really don't think that will be an issue for you.

If it is a concern of yours, I would teach your kids on how to deal with situations and teach them how not to be targets. I have done some research on bullying and I know how awful it can be for kids that experience it. If you want some tips, send me a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary