Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2006, 06:18 AM

5 posts, read 13,656 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating down there to be closer to my family - although we may have to wait a few years. My fiance's mother's boyfriend lived down there for a few months about 20 years ago and now thinks he is the expert and has told my fiance some things that make him not want to move. So I thought I'd ask some people who actually currently live there and would really know.

First, snow. Is it illegal to drive when it snows down there? I asked my brothers (one lives in Raleigh, the other Greensboro) and they said it's foolish if you don't know what you're doing driving in snow and ice but definitely not illegal. But his mom's boyfriend has him absolutely convinced that you can't even leave your house.

Second is flood insurance. Again, my fiance's mom's boyfriend has him convinced that it is required by NC law that you have flood insurance, even on a second story apartment. And that it costs $1500 a month! That's more than both my brothers combined pay for their apartments. I say that's not true and if it were, NC would be an empty state because no one could afford to live there. Mom's boyfriend convinced him it's absolutely true.

Please give me some proof that I can use to change fiance's mind - at least about these things.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 12:32 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
1. False
2.False

You do not need flood insurance
You can drive in the snow all you want

Lol

It only snows on average twice a year around Raleigh. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:25 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Too funny. No, its not ILLEGAL to drive in the snow but sometimes I think it SHOULD be!

That question is almost as funny as one of my clients who asked me..."Since there are so few basements in Raleigh, where do you guys keep your snow blowers?".

Flood insurance is only mandatory if you are in a flood zone. I had a guy whose home was near a creek, flood insurance was not required but he wanted it for the first year, until he could see how high the creek got. He paid about $25 per month, but I think that depends on how close to the water you really are and how low your home is. After the first year, he cancelled it.

Hope this helps.

I'm off to see "The Lion King"!

vicki

Old 09-17-2006, 06:20 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Vicki have fun at the lion king. email me and let me know how you liked it. I will be seeing it Oct.4th, and can't wait. I wanted to get tickets for a Sat, but all the good seats were taken. I don't want a nose bleed when Igo so I had to pick a weekeday for good seats.

Have fun,
Debbie

Old 09-17-2006, 08:50 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Vicki have fun at the lion king. email me and let me know how you liked it. I will be seeing it Oct.4th, and can't wait. I wanted to get tickets for a Sat, but all the good seats were taken. I don't want a nose bleed when Igo so I had to pick a weekeday for good seats.

Have fun,
Debbie
I got my tickets ages ago. We had GREAT seats. I like the orchestra section and we were right in the middle! The show is AMAZING! The house was packed, not used to that much of a crowd and we go to alot of the plays. The costumes are awesome. I'm not going to tell you much more since there are a few surprises you will want to wait for. Enjoy it. I'd go again if my husband wouldn't die from the cost of the tickets!!! I did convince him that I needed the CD, which was $25. My daughter said she'll look in her closet for the old Disney CD and I can have it for free but I had to have one from the show! To those of you not planning to go...rethink it and if you can get tickets...GO! Its so worth it.

Vicki

Vicki

Old 09-18-2006, 07:44 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Thanks Vicki for not giving away any secrets from the show. I can't wait, and I will also buy the CD.

Debbie

Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
Megan,

I think your fiance's mother needs a new boyfriend. There is nothing worse than a self-proclaimed expert who knows diddly about things that he expounds on. However he may just be pulling everyone's leg to discourage any further thoughts of moving (maybe mom doesn't want her baby boy moving away from home so she is using the boyfriend to bad-mouth any prospects). You did the right thing in looking for the truth on your own and not depending on someone who knows nothing about anything.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I got my tickets ages ago. We had GREAT seats. I like the orchestra section and we were right in the middle! The show is AMAZING! The house was packed, not used to that much of a crowd and we go to alot of the plays. The costumes are awesome. I'm not going to tell you much more since there are a few surprises you will want to wait for. Enjoy it. I'd go again if my husband wouldn't die from the cost of the tickets!!! I did convince him that I needed the CD, which was $25. My daughter said she'll look in her closet for the old Disney CD and I can have it for free but I had to have one from the show! To those of you not planning to go...rethink it and if you can get tickets...GO! Its so worth it.

Vicki

Vicki
Vicki

My mom and 4 year old are going to see lion king this weekend.......I will be interested to see my daughter's take on it. She loves lion king, and we have prepared her for the show......she is definitely a kid who can sit through the length of it, I just hope it doesn't scare her too much! Speaking of great shows, I never miss raleigh little theatre's performance of cinderella at christmas! it is hysterical!

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary