Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I thought that was Durham
Actually it was "Durham-Chapel Hill".

America's Foodiest Small Town: In the Magazine: bonappetit.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
With the OP's budget, I'd definitely look at the Cameron Village area. North of the center is a Mid-Century ranches neighborhood and to its south is a gorgeous 1910-1920 neighborhood (Cameron Park). IMO, the latter is more convenient since it's closer to Downtown, Pullen Park and other city amenities like the YMCA and public library. From Cameron Park, one can walk to Glenwood South and pick up the free DT circulator bus to all districts of DT Raleigh.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:52 AM

24 posts, read 63,855 times
Regarding Chapel Hill/ Carrboro area, what are the most family friendly neighborhoods in the $500-$600 range? What are the best schools and are the higher taxes actually worth the difference? I haven't visited this area but I keep hearing great things about CH.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
As Mike noted, there are some neighborhoods in Durham worth checking out in that range if being in walking distance to dining, shopping, etc. are of interest. Trinity Park near downtown would be an option as he pointed out; it has houses below and above as well as in that price range.

A house was for sale across the street from us at $575k but went under contract within 48 hours; a Sotheby's affiliate has a house listed for $620k on Buchanan across the street from East Campus, and I think there is an open house coming up soon. Tight-knit neighborhood, mix of professors, professionals, and active retirees. If you're looking in the $500k-600k range you'd likely want to stay south of Green St. or thereabouts and west of Gregson. Plenty of nicer homes in northern TP but the occasional listings that pop up for $800k+ on Gregson aren't to my mind a value.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:31 AM

27 posts, read 101,707 times
If you want something close to shopping, dining and movies in Durham, it would be worth checking out The Lodge at Southpoint Apartment Homes, or something in that neighborhood.
I know of 2 young couples just starting out their family, who enjoy living there and I like the community everytime I visit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary