Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of buying a residence in the 12 Oaks Community in Holly Spring. However, someone cautioned me about the landfills that are very close to that area. Is this a valid concern regarding odors, traffic, noise, views, etc? Also, anything else about 12 Oaks or the Holly Spring area is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I recently helped buyers buy a home in 12 Oaks. They were not concerned about the landfill or the Nuclear Plant and we discussed both! We got into a bidding war for a home that was an inventory home so they ended up doing a pre sale.

Now that the n'hood is selling well, it is starting to look very nice.

Vicki

Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM

53 posts, read 92,418 times
We signed a contract in early March to build a house in 12 Oaks. There is a landfill in the area, but not anywhere you can see it or smell it. There's also the nuclear plant that you cannot see except for higher points in the neighborhood...even then, it's the steam from the plant and not the plant itself. Oh yeah, I am a Cary native and remember the plant being built when I was a kid...some 30 years ago. Looks like it's still there and still safe! There's also an indoor firearms center nearby...oh well. Probably helps keep the crime rate low...hehehe.

So, is it a bad place...depends on your individual perspective. You can find something to like and dislike no matter where you buy. Some neighborhoods in Cary now back up to I-540. Some also now have high power lines in their back yards. But you're closer to everything. What's your priorities?

We bought in 12 Oaks because of the many schools nearby, the small town environment, the closeness of the new I-540 extension without being in our back yard, and getting to live on a golf course in a bigger house than we could afford closer to RTP. And the park and lake associated w/ the nuclear power plant is a plus...I see a boat in our near future!!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
A couple of other threads you might want to check out if you haven't already:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...beginning.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...2-oaks-hs.html

Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,121 times
Seems this thread comes up every few months...I live in Holly Springs. I drive by the landfill two times, every day. I have been here for 5.5 years now. I have literally only "smelled" the landfill 3, 4 times max. And those were on those hot, muggy mornings where the air is so thick you could cut it with a knife. In other words the type of day where you wouldn't be outside anyway. Personally I'm more concerned with the new 540 interchange and shopping center going in because traffic is going to be a bear.

Edited to add...but I think if you work in RTP the interchange is going to be a blessing. Who knows what the future holds.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
The only time I've ever smelled the landfill was driving by on the 55 bypass which is the opposite direction from 12 Oaks. Not saying it cold not blow the other way but the prevailing winds go from 12 oaks toward 55.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
Might not be able to smell the landfill right now, but it's going to be there a long time East of RT 55 is where it's at in HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary