Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM

119 posts, read 260,762 times

Advertisements

We are looking for houses. Now we saw a house (it's in Breckenridge- preserve subdivision, built in 2002) we really like: the floor plan, the location, the yard. We are almost ready to give the offer. But yesterday I heard that the builder-Pulte home is not a quality builder. Lots of people complain about their house.
So I am doing research now. Anyone live in the same subdivision or know this subdivision can give me some suggestion?

And, anyone knows a better builder? Is Orleans a better one? Some friends recomment welden ridge-harbor. Anyone has an idea? Pleeeeeeeeese help! I either give the offer early next week, or give up this house. But I do like the floor plan and almost every inside the house. The quality of the house structure I really cannot tell from outside.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:06 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I saw a Pulte townhome on Litchford Rd.

Zilch quality.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Pulte is a production builder, some people like them some don't. I would recommend having an inspection on the property, have your agent write an addendum on the contract regarding an inspection before the purchase is complete. The inspection will cost you around 350 dollars, but it may be worth it to you so that you can determine if the house is built well.

I have my clients do inspections on new construction all of the time, it helps!

Leigh

Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Breckenridge IS a Pulte neighborhood, as is Long Lake in North Raleigh.

As Leigh said, Pulte is a production builder.

I've sold homes in Breckenridge and Long Lake and have always had Home Inspections on them. They are better than some and not as good as others.

As far as the construction, Pulte still has to meet the state and city requirements.

Sometimes with the production builders, it really depends on who the superintendant of the neighborhood is, as to how many corners are cut.

I wouldn't eliminate this neighborhood just because Pulte built it. Talk to the neighbors, as you ride around. Neighbors will be the first to tell you the BAD and then the GOOD!

ALWAYS get a Home Inspection.

Vicki

Old 09-14-2007, 08:35 AM

36 posts, read 147,663 times
I wouldn't recommend Pulte's home. Lots of complains from what I heard. I would avoid it.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:44 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
To the realtors ...
When you say, "Pulte is a production builder," what does that mean? How are they different than other builders?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
To the realtors ...
When you say, "Pulte is a production builder," what does that mean? How are they different than other builders?
It means they build thousands of home across the country. Yes, they have to follow the regulations per state, but they build many many homes in wake county alone. They have a set process for building homes, don't do much (if any) customization, they simply say, here are your choices for the cabinet, pick one, etc.

Custom builders usually build 15-20 homes a year (depends on the builder), but then there are some smaller builders (like st. lawrence homes) which is based in raleigh, but they do build a large number of homes but are not nationwide like pulte. Pulte will build entire neighborhoods, pick out 6 floor plans and build those over and over. Most custom builders will tweak their plans depending on the lot, their mood, etc!

Leigh

Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 AM

98 posts, read 301,778 times
Tian,

I would listen to Vicki's Advice. I am not a big fan of most of the houses built in the Triangle since I have a family member who was a home inspector here until last year. I hate PULTE too but that was one area that they did do a decent job with. As with any house get a good inspector and write in the offer a contingency saying based upon satisfactory inspection. No house will be perfect but you do not want a cracked foundation. The neighboorhood is nice.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Another difference I have found is that the Custom Builders want their buyers to be happy. They are PROUD of their work. And if its going to be one of "their houses", they make sure the work is done right. They have a personal stake in overseeing the construction and making sure things are just done the right way.

Production builders hire a superintendent to watch over the construction, etc. But, their name isn't attached to the home, so the PRIDE sems to be missing.

If there is a problem after the sale, the custom builder will most likely go back and fix the problem. Not because he HAS to but because he WANTS to. Again, its a pride thing.

The production builder can offer his home for less money as he makes his money on production.

Vicki

Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
It's rare to see production builders in the Boston suburbs until you get out beyond 495. So the new homes are all custom. That's why they all look different, even if the development is being built all at once. In my town it's more common for the homeowner to buy the land and then find the builder. There are a few builders here who will purchase 10-30 acres but with a 1-2 acre minimum requirement, they can only build so many homes. And those are varied too as they are able to work with each homeowner individually. I can't think of a single "cookie cutter" home in my town though I have seen them pop up in neighboring towns!

Two of the town's most lucrative builders live here in town. So you know they want to build a good product. When I moved here 10 years ago, we had a developer working on a new development that turned out so ugly the guy was nearly run out of town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary